Clarion DVD head unit, e-brake ground is a PITA!

AstoSoup

I guess this could be considered more of a general electrical question but since it applies to my head unit, I decided to post here....I hope I posted in the right place and my apologies if not.

I have a Clarion VX709, 7" Touchscreen DVD head unit. In order to play DVD videos, the wire is supposed to be connected to the e-brake ground and only show video while the e-brake is applied. My passenger frequently watches movies while driving, so connecting to the e-brake is not possible for me. On my old 4" DVD HU, I simply grounded the wire and left it, allowing me to always watch video. This unit however, is different. In order to see video on the screen, the ground MUST be made AFTER the video has started playback, making it so a constant ground is no good. I have been waiting until the audio on the movie starts, then twisting the e-brake cable together with a grounded wire. This does the job, but it is a pain twisting the wire every time I turn it on and looks horrible having two bare wires hanging.

My question is (and I hope it isn't a stupid one, lol), can I wire the e-brake cable through a 12v toggle switch to a ground, and just flip the switch to make the connection? Or do toggle switches only work for positive currents? I have Googled every search term I can think of and nothing has answered my question, so any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

If the relay method does not work, you will need this:

http://www.diybypass.com/products.html

companies are making it harder to bypass video playback while driving....

This may sound newbish of me lol.... but I don't even know what a double pulse is :shrug: Really, all I need is something to make the connection for me instead of twisting the wires together. What type of relay would do this for me? I had my doubts about a normal toggle switch doing the job, that is why I posted here before going ahead and purchasing one. If all I need is a relay, I can manage that, just need to know which relay in particular to get....

Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

If the relay method does not work, you will need this:

http://www.diybypass.com/products.html

companies are making it harder to bypass video playback while driving....

The link provides one for Clarion as well :) Thanks! Looks like a pretty simple deal, three wires and it's done. It should come with directions, right? Like where to hook which wire, etc.?

Archived