Sundown Audio

Well then... (New tool'd basket)

Well,

i normally poo poo on new baskets, as they are just fashion over function. This, is the latter.

Seems all the works are here with this. Adapter plate, which is smart as fuck, (price savings) as well as landing size, and thickness for that fucking beast motor.

A true large spider, (12" ??? fuuuu ?) and coil,.. fuck ya...

Time will tell, but, this smells like a home run. Makes me wonder if people in 15 years will be looking for this basket. Like all solid gear out there.

Id love for Jacob, or someone in the know to chime in, but if not, ... im sniffing around, for sure.

sundown_zpsfeff6ffd.jpg

Edited by KyLar96

Saw this on FB :droolcup::droolcup::droolcup::droolcup::droolcup::droolcup::droolcup::droolcup::droolcup::droolcup::droolcup::domodance::twirl:

Brandon

2000 Furd Ranger supercab 4x4

System:

welding wire throughout the truck

USalts 390amp Hairpin

Juicebox in stock location

8 Banks of maxwell supercaps

2 American Bass Vfl 1100.1 wired to .35 each

2 Fi Audio Sp4 18's ( the DD sc 9918's smoked)

Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel

It's pronounced (dain-ja rain-ja) :ph34r:

2001 2 door focus

1 DD9918 SC 

What specific questions did you have that you'd love someone to chime in on? Didn't they get answered in this thread?:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/192571-sundown-tooled-18-frame-completed/

Thanks...

But.. ill wait for more .......

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Anything in particular you need to know ?

The jist of it... STRONG frame to hold heavy motors (it is ~10 lbs or so of aluminum); giant clearance of 6" p-p; holds spiders of 10, 11, and 12" diameter (I typed that wrong in the first thred... 10" is the smallest landing rather than 9.25"); will accept a 5" coil in the base; has a proprieteary 8-bolt pattern (which will get it's own vent ring that I am tooling) as well as cast adapter for standard 6-bolt 127mm adapter (that mates to the current vent ring); and it looks sweet.

In order to use it to it's fullest... I need to tool 12" spiders, another surround, and a special motor -- all of which I am working on as time allows.

When applied to current motors we will use 10" spiders as nothing we make can support 6" p-p yet -- I am tooling spider spacer pieces for it as well for linearity and to rise up and meet the cone as the 10" landing is recessed down a good bit.

Took a while to get to this one after I did the 8, 10, 12, and 15" frames for cost reasons -- but now is the time :)

Edited by sundownz
  • Like (+1 Rep) 6

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

I've mentioned it in a few places... but back when I was in college with much less knowledge I was dreaming about a driver with 6" of p-p travel. At the time not fully knowing or understanding that sort of massive undertaking it would be financially and parts wise to be able to make such a driver.

So now... after 8 years in the business I have finally tooled the biggest part of the puzzle to making it possible.

Suspension and motor are both things I can definitely figure out -- but having a frame to allow it is huge.

Obviously it cannot happen overnight but I will be working towards making that very special 18" driver with unheard of throw. Obviously as a company I need to address things that sell the best first -- but I am getting close to the dream.

Iit's this type of thing that keeps me excited about speakers every day. It's more than a business for me -- I love to push the envelope because this is what *I* wanted when I was simply on the consumer side... the new platform stuff shows it already, I believe... not everyone agrees or likes them (at least in the original Mega-Roll format) but I don't think anyone can dismiss the impact of the X, Z v.4, etc on the industry.

I know some people think I'm crazy for the sheer # of parts I tool and keep in stock (which grows every year) -- but it's just how I roll... I want to be able to make something that anyone can enjoy no matter what they like.

• Like (+1 Rep) 7

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

looks like the normal spoke basket with less larger spokes. Sorta kinda like the dc baskets.

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

looks like the normal spoke basket with less larger spokes. Sorta kinda like the dc baskets.

I'm not a cosmetics guy -- the appearance is really secondary to me to doing what I want.

That being said it's most reminiscent of, say, an 18" 6-spoke -- but more rounded, bigger landings, much thicker, taller, etc. I'm not the kind of guy to put flames on it or any un-necessary cosmetic touches. It's big, it's strong, it works. To me -- being a beautiful piece of equipment follows naturally with it's working well.

Edited by sundownz
  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg