Sundown Audio

Amplifier Trouble Shooting Issues

Dominique Jacob Redlin

Recently I put in a brand new system. I had my two 15 inch earthquake Tremor X154 just running off of a 2000 watt pyramid america amp. I bought two 10 inch boss subs and started to put in a double amplifier set-up with a 8.0 farad power cap, with distribution blocks and all that. I ran into a number of problems. The first thing that I ran into is lack of power. I checked my power cable and ended up just completely re-wiring with a new 8 gauge wire. That fixed one problem, but still no lights or sound. I pulled my stereo out and double checked my remote and everything was solid there. I checked my ground wire which I mounted behind a panel screwed in with an existing screw. I finally had lights and sound, the bass was great. But it was short lived. I decided to get 4 gauge power and ground wire just to be on the safe side, but I haven't put them in yet. I had power, lights, and everything the only thing is- now my subs cut in and out randomly. I had my bass know turned all the way down, i turn my stereo up and my subs come on very silently. I slowly turn my bass knob up and they get louder and then right underneath about halfway on the bass knob the subs sound like they cut out and they make horrible scratching sounds, kind of. Is it possible to have bad RCA's? I'm stumped here.

2000 Blazer LS

Head Unit- Pioneer DEH-X6600BT

Speakers- 4 x Pioneer TS-A1685R

Amplifiers- Autotek Mean Machine M4000.1

- Pyramid America 2000 watts

Power Caps- Boss Cap 8.0 Farad

8 Gauge Ground and Power wire

Subwookers- Two 15 inch Earthquake Tremor-X154

- Two 10 inch Boss P106DVC

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cmon guys, give him a chance. We all started somewhere.

OP, push on the subs gently with everything off, if they make scratchy sounds are you feel rubbing then you destroyed the coils. if not then there may be other issues.

My friend and I tuned up both amps, the Autotek Mean Machine has four settings- Level that has from 6v-0.2V, Bass EQ 0Db-10Db, Sub Sonic 15Hz-35Hz, and Low Pass 30Hz- 250 Hz. We were careful to not over tune per say, I can't exactly say what Hz and V we tuned them but what I can say we definitely didn't turn each knob all the way up. We didn't exceed more than 75%, when they ran, they sounded great. I don't think that they blew because my 10's are doing the same things and they are under powered with only 2000 watts. I am concerned about my 15's and will check the coils because that's where most of the bass is coming from.

2000 Blazer LS

Head Unit- Pioneer DEH-X6600BT

Speakers- 4 x Pioneer TS-A1685R

Amplifiers- Autotek Mean Machine M4000.1

- Pyramid America 2000 watts

Power Caps- Boss Cap 8.0 Farad

8 Gauge Ground and Power wire

Subwookers- Two 15 inch Earthquake Tremor-X154

- Two 10 inch Boss P106DVC

You can check the coils with a DMM.

Set it to measure resistance, they should all be close to the same, if they read zero, they're toast.

So you have two different amps and two different sets of subs? You probably have cancellation issues.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Also 2k watts and 8 Guage wire is a fire waiting to happen.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Also 2k watts and 8 Guage wire is a fire waiting to happen.

I think he upgraded to 4ga and im willing to bet he isnt getting 2k.

The damage may have been done alreay though. What in the hell was he using before he "upgraded" to 8ga?

Archived