Bad heat pipe? Or something else?

So recently I've noticed while playing some games my fans are running full bore. No biggie, 3-4 year old laptop, I'll blow the dust out. No change. Took a look at my temps, GPU is fine, but CPU temps are all over the place. Like the TIM is failing or something. so I popped everything apart, cleaned the mating surfaces off, took the time to polish the CPU heatsink, put it all back together with arctic silver ceramique. Small change, about 4 celcius lower under load, but still the underlying problem remains.

Temps go through the roof and drop down equally fast in accordance with load. I've had to revert back to stock clock (2.5ghz) over my overclock (3.3ghz) as I found it spikes temps though the roof at 100c before shutdown. Bear in mind when I got this years ago I could run prime 95 and would be in the low 90s under full load. A bit high, but stable nonetheless. Now stock speeds are getting temps near that and OC is not an option.

Any ideas? I've never heard of a heat pipe going bad. Maybe some internal corrosion or something making it not work as well as it should? When I put it back together I made sure not to allow the CPU heatsink to lift off again as to not include air in the TIM.

Laptop is a Lenovo w700

CPU temp graph. Note the difference in temperatures between cores 1/2 and 3/4.

cputemp_zpscea7e0fe.jpg

GPU temp graph (no problems, what I would expect)

GPUTemps_zps984f65af.jpg

Cleaning process

FOT7CD0_zps458ac3c6.jpg

WP_20141219_002_zps26d5ae41.jpg

WP_20141219_006_zps0047caed.jpg

WP_20141219_009_zps6a1848d6.jpg

The problem is you have some creepy ass eyes and a cheesy smile trapped in there.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Are you sure both the fans are spinning up? I had one of my exhaust fans on my old Alienware laptop fail and the GPU was fine at idle and low load but would throttle in games. I didn't even realize one fan was dead because the other fan was so damn loud.

The temp difference between cores of a couple degrees isn't anything to worry about. A little bit too much or too little thermal paste or an oh-so-slightly-loose screw could cause imperfect contact with the heatsink base and affect the temperatures. I wouldn't stress about it.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Are you sure both the fans are spinning up? I had one of my exhaust fans on my old Alienware laptop fail and the GPU was fine at idle and low load but would throttle in games. I didn't even realize one fan was dead because the other fan was so damn loud.

The temp difference between cores of a couple degrees isn't anything to worry about. A little bit too much or too little thermal paste or an oh-so-slightly-loose screw could cause imperfect contact with the heatsink base and affect the temperatures. I wouldn't stress about it.

Shit even just imperfections in the cpu will cause slight differences. It's pretty common to see some variance.

Yup I have a software fan controller, set the fans on full manually. I'm not concerned about a few degrees, but that's almost a 10 degree difference on a cpu with cores 1/2 and 3/4 on separate dies. And there's no cap - just heatsink against raw cores. Combined with how fast the heat spikes/dissipates, makes me thing something else is wonky.

Since posting this I've tried re-applying the thermal paste, tried something about as vanilla as it gets - silicone based paste, no other additives. Still no appreciable difference. It's very odd

Archived