Article explaining directivity/off axis response in speakers

aculous

• 2 weeks later...

Speaker directivity is a major reason why 3-way components in cars can be easier to tune than 2-way components with a big woofer and a small tweeter(6.5" and 1", for example). I've had the pleasure of attending classes from ex-Harman International employees Dr. Floyd Toole and Andy Wehmeyer at Knowledgefest last year. We could talk more about speaker placement if anyone's down for it.

Awesome Link

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Speaker directivity is a major reason why 3-way components in cars can be easier to tune than 2-way components with a big woofer and a small tweeter(6.5" and 1", for example). I've had the pleasure of attending classes from ex-Harman International employees Dr. Floyd Toole and Andy Wehmeyer at Knowledgefest last year. We could talk more about speaker placement if anyone's down for it.

Definitely, yea I basically started down this road of going three way, which is relatively hard in a car I have found out, more because the equipment i.e. crossovers from amps and headunits are all geared toward a 2-way design. (even my 80-prs which HAS 3 way crossovers but once you throw an amp into the mix it starts to get complicated) You end up learning more about high level and low level signals and trying to find solutions. Right now not sure how I am going to do it still but I am learning HARD on a minidsp implementation and avoiding using the headunit. Which is a shame because thats why I bought it.

But anyway yea I would love to understand a little bit more. I am messing currently with finite impulse response or FIR filters and learning more about spatially locating speakers. (on a baffle for a line array or rather a CBT array [see don keele's work for details]) But also because I've been downright lazy, I haven't even started on my car eventhough I have the speakers/HU/Sub sitting in my living room....

Definitely, yea I basically started down this road of going three way, which is relatively hard in a car I have found out, more because the equipment i.e. crossovers from amps and headunits are all geared toward a 2-way design. (even my 80-prs which HAS 3 way crossovers but once you throw an amp into the mix it starts to get complicated) You end up learning more about high level and low level signals and trying to find solutions. Right now not sure how I am going to do it still but I am learning HARD on a minidsp implementation and avoiding using the headunit. Which is a shame because thats why I bought it.

But anyway yea I would love to understand a little bit more. I am messing currently with finite impulse response or FIR filters and learning more about spatially locating speakers. (on a baffle for a line array or rather a CBT array [see don keele's work for details]) But also because I've been downright lazy, I haven't even started on my car eventhough I have the speakers/HU/Sub sitting in my living room....

There's no need for FIR filters in the car for 99.99% of people. Even miniDSP is overkill for you at this point, in my opinion. Take it slow and try the head unit first for your crossovers, EQ, and time alignment. Active speaker systems are only slightly more complicated than 2-way systems implementing passive crossovers. Keep in mind it's still about signal routing, either with DC voltage or AC voltage. Try drawing out your system layout on the computer or with a pencil and paper.

Tuning is pretty universal. Time alignment, crossovers, level matching, EQ. A tape measure is adequate to rough in time alignment. If you do buy a miniDSP it would be wise of you to also put together a laptop RTA with Room EQ Wizard.

There's no need for FIR filters in the car for 99.99% of people. Even miniDSP is overkill for you at this point, in my opinion. Take it slow and try the head unit first for your crossovers, EQ, and time alignment. Active speaker systems are only slightly more complicated than 2-way systems implementing passive crossovers. Keep in mind it's still about signal routing, either with DC voltage or AC voltage. Try drawing out your system layout on the computer or with a pencil and paper.

Tuning is pretty universal. Time alignment, crossovers, level matching, EQ. A tape measure is adequate to rough in time alignment. If you do buy a miniDSP it would be wise of you to also put together a laptop RTA with Room EQ Wizard.

yea I actually have a UMIK mic on the way to use with REW. I also got a symetrix 760 for my home audio setup but will use the mic for car audio as well.

The 2 vs 3 way issue I talked about in another post. Basically everyone kinda agreed I was screwed. Either you run it off the headunit and use the crossover from the HU or you run it active from the amp and you end up having to guess freq of the active crossover on the amp.

The 2 vs 3 way issue I talked about in another post. Basically everyone kinda agreed I was screwed. Either you run it off the headunit and use the crossover from the HU or you run it active from the amp and you end up having to guess freq of the active crossover on the amp.

When you talk about 3-way what exactly do you mean? Tweeters/woofers/subwoofer or tweeters/mids/midbass woofers/subwoofer? Car audio folks often consider the subwoofer a separate "way" that's assumed, so the second layout is 3-way, even though you divide the sound 4 ways.

Archived