Perks of going to COLLEGE.

Ok guys. (Excuse the long intro. Just want to give you guys some back ground info). I'm back with yet another build. My gf's son Christian recently turned 20, traded his "Continuously breaking down" 2000 Dodge Ram Truck for an ugly 1984 P.O.S Cutlass Supreme with Lambo doors. What the hell was he thinking. Days after the trade, the truck's transmission went out for the new owner. Karma striking back....the Cutlass stopped running after a broken cam. lol. Well, looks like Christian is out of a vehicle all together. He's been miserable for the past few wks.

We told him not to trade vehicles, but being 20, and making glorious statements like "I'm an adult now", "It's my truck, I can do what I want". He is now "eating crow". And his mother feels sad for him. I told her NOT to help him.....I will handle this!

Being the man in this family, I see an opportunity to make good on a bad situation. He refuses to go to school. He rather work, work,work for $10.00/hr than go to school to do something that can earn him 2-3 x's that per hour. As, you can tell this pisses me the f**k off. I went as far as offering him a sports car for college to see if it will motivate him. He would not agree to my terms...but wanted the sports car. Go figure. hahaha.

So, after alot of thinking......what I did for his sister I will do for him.....but with a stipulation......GO TO F**KING COLLEGE!. NO COLLEGE....NO FREE RIDE! Yup, a reconditioned car, insuranace covered by us, and maintenance by me. Complete with a SQ build with I.D. components! A FREE RIDE. NO WORRIES, NO BREAKING DOWN........ BUT NO COLLEGE, NO FREE RIDE!

It's my money......it's my terms. He's going to have to deal with it. :D

Last month, trolling CL during breakfast I eyed a gray Camaro. Later on that day, we went to look at it. She was alittle beat up on the inside. The body was straight. She could not go into park due to a shift cable issue-common issue. The driver's window had a broken track, and could not go down, and the motor was broken on top of that. lol. She idled better than most older camaro 3.8L I have seen. She had no working brake lights and a broken high beam switch. The codes were cleared (how clever) so I was taking a gamble on this deal. I took the plunge and we agreed on the sale price. I now have a 97 Camaro RS sitting in my garage.

My gf made the mistake and sent pics of this car to her kids. But she tried to save face and said "It's Frank's second car". Too late, he knows it's for him! Lately, we have been talking in front of him saying "My Camaro, my Camaro. Can't wait to fix my Camaro". blah,blah, blah. He looked sad and little jealous since he has no vehicle. lol.

He is now saying he will be signing up and taking the placement test for community college. I will believe it when I see it.

She is not a Z28, but she's something I always wanted...and she's free for him!

Now onto the pics.....

Here is his..... Cutlass..

KIMG0942_zps21ac12e5.jpg

KIMG0943-1_zps5dca408b.jpg

Here is what he will get instead.

IMG_20141226_133630_537_zps452fa707.jpg

IMG_20141226_145418_939_zps076cc4ca.jpg

First things first, quiet down that noisy squeaky motor! Wow, the original tensioner wheel. See the ribs coming through????

IMAG0483-1_zpsaad6059f.jpg

Here is why, she would not go into Park....the shift linkage was just hanging there. All the tranny pan bolts were loose! Tranny fluid covered all the walls of the pan. Sh*t did I just make a mistake?? I'll find out when I do the tranny service.

IMAG0481_zpsbf79d714.jpg

Yum, transmission fluid looks like mud. Looks like the service was never done since new! Instead of taking 3.5 qts. of fluid, she was deficient 5 qts on the refill!! Crap!! Luckily she shifts smother now than before. Close call!

IMAG0595_zps3c0bb65c.jpg

Looks like I will be doing the differential as well! Leaking front and back.

IMAG0490_zps03c50371.jpg

Next the coolant.....Ah the Dexcool mud! All the coolant lines were original and swollen and about to burst.

The more I try to fix...the more she needs fixing.

IMAG0555_zps4d6bd39d.jpg

IMAG0552_zpsa50b7485.jpg

IMAG0558_zps91c2de98.jpg

IMAG0595_zps3c0bb65c.jpg

IMAG0558_zps91c2de98.jpg

Swollen and soft vs. Non swollen and non soft.

IMAG0592_zps57f6b3c9.jpg

No brake lights due to the famous "turn signal multi function switch" that the brake feed runs through. Had to pull the steering wheel to replace the $28.00 piece. I was able to fix the high beam switch as well! Glad I did it!

IMAG0527_zps9b9a6eac.jpg

Corrosion! Bad ground. Bulb siliconed inplace?

30e609d0-e7f7-4c17-9966-88c398d55ab0_zps

Dirty interior. 30 min of cinderella scrubbing!

IMAG0507_zpsa1ddf5eb.jpg

The headliner was toast.

IMAG0546_zps8b0ca9f9.jpg

Now off to LKQ!

IMAG0500-1_zps7cb5e780.jpg

We scored these seats for $50.00 on Jan,1,2015! 50% sale at LKQ.

IMAG0503_zps7effc1de.jpg

IMAG0515_zps98dd7dfd.jpg

SQ Stereo time! Old school Eclipse 5442 with DSP! Been waiting to use this unit! Custom mounting plate. The space below the radio

will say "Christian's Camaro" stitched...or silk screen with the Chevy Logo in the middle!

IMAG0530_zpsed507552.jpg

IMAG0538_zps62ae7b69.jpg

SQ all the way. ID CX62 with tweeters. Phoenix Gold Elite.4, Just need to get the ID crossovers and put a pair of Old school IDQ12v2.2 at the pawn shop on lay-a-way tomorrow!

014_zps2e9d6c85.jpg

015_zps2368d956.jpg

This is what I want it to look like...

c5-22_zpsd9712a23.jpg

So I took the plunge and scored these 18x10.5" C5 wheels just like the pic! Now to get the fronts and the tires.

IMAG0589_zps60939e5f.jpg

Tomorrow I do the BIG 3 with this BMW 1 gauge cable I scored for $10.00 at LKQ.

camaro008_zps9910e80f.jpg

This build will take 1-2 months probably. As I find and fix things.

Tell me what you think!

Thanks for looking!

-Frank

You're a better man than me, I'd have told the kid to ride the shoe leather express.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

That's crazy! haha my parents would never do that for me! It is just expected I go to college, but then again I really do not mind, it has a lot of perks, just not a suped up camaro for me! :P

It gets his attention. Completely tricked out. I never had a nice ride til I was 24. His dreams have no financial funding behind them. We can make it happen if he goes to school. I knew I wanted to go to college when I was 13. I made it happen after taking off 6 months after H.S. I don't know what his problem is? All the hot girls go to school. Shit, that was incentive enough when I was his age! I don't get it. I just do not want him to be in the under $40,000 a year bracket.

-Frank

Not everybody wants to follow that path and there are plenty of jobs over $40k year that require no college.

Sometimes you gotta let kids live and learn.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

It gets his attention. Completely tricked out. I never had a nice ride til I was 24. His dreams have no financial funding behind them. We can make it happen if he goes to school. I knew I wanted to go to college when I was 13. I made it happen after taking off 6 months after H.S. I don't know what his problem is? All the hot girls go to school. Shit, that was incentive enough when I was his age! I don't get it. I just do not want him to be in the under $40,000 a year bracket.

-Frank

I feel ya! Well, at least he is showing some signs of changing now! :) I'm sure once he goes to college that he will like it! Especially if he drives up in that sexy thing!! Talk about getting hot girls lol.

Not everybody wants to follow that path and there are plenty of jobs over $40k year that require no college.

Sometimes you gotta let kids live and learn.

True, but if he wants to do nothing with his life, that is a different story.

Miguel, funny you mention that because, originally I wanted to do a Mustang Gt convertible build, but a 1997 runs $3200. I can buy that but, he likes to drive fast and loves big motors. Must be his age. I do not need him wrecking it and killing himself with a car I bought for him. So a big motor is out of the question. He mentioned the LS1 motor the day he saw the Camaro. lol. "Nah! Who needs that?!"

That $3200 does not include the necessary maintenance required for the added miles.

With this car, I am way under this budget, and by the time I get to $3200, we will be done with it!

Let's face it, girls like nicely done up cars, not the motor in it.

Plus, he doesn't have the $$$ for the gas for a big motor. He was always on "E" when he had his Ram Truck with that 5.2L or 5.9L motor in it.

Broke, there is nothing wrong with working and making a living, >40,000 or < 40,000. But left to ones own devices, one may chose the easy way out and work, work, work. Why not aim higher for >$85,000 a year job and not have to work, work,work. I just want to point in the right direct the first time around. Many of my nurse colleagues are going back to school to become a Nurse Practitioner or Physician's Assistant. >$189,000 to start. Twice what we make now. I am comfortable with what I make, and can pursue other hobbies on my days off. He rather work 6 days a wk. I work 3 days a wk. lol.

My gf is mad at me currently, because he just landed a job at a dealership. He'll get more info Monday as to which of the 3 positions he might fill. She wants me to give

him the car now so he can drive to work. A BIG FAT NO! No college, no car. That's my rule. This Camaro topic can get alittle thick at times when brought up. So I am venting here. lol.

-Frank

Archived