surround sound help and other tips

In the spring my mom is wanting to redo our living room with all new furniture and move stuff around. Currently the TV is on the north wall, windows in the south east corner of room. Glare is terrible cut she has stupid blinds. When it gets redone she is wanting to put it on top of a electric fireplace or wall mount it right above it on the south wall between doors and windows. I'm trying to talk her into a surround sound but her hearing is cap anyways so she thinks it's stupid and not needed. It is the main room that we watch TV and movies and play games in tho so I thought it was a good idea. My dad does to.

Anyways room is 10' × 12' or 12' by 15' west wall is wide open for about half of it. North wall is decently open with little window like openings and doorway. Can anyone recommend a surround sounder kit for this room? Not bose. I'm trying to talk them into it but I don't think I'll get them past $500 even if it does happen. So please recommend something or all the pieces to DIY.

as for equipment we will have a ps3 and a dvr/ cable box. Hook up through hdmi currently so keep that in mind. Would like to keep it simple with that unless another cable type is of better quality. Used mostly for TV movies and shooting type games.

TV is a 42" Vizio that could also use a calibration as it seems white washed and lacks the darks. But recommend away.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could do a modest DIY 2.1 system on $500. It would blow any store bought systems in that price range out of the water sound quality wise.

There are LOTS of DIY options, here is one suggestion:

Two of these - http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits/osmtm-flat-pack.html

One of these for the sub - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?221133-Whole-buncha-sub-designs-for-the-RSS210HF-4

That leaves you about $140 for wood and something to power the mains with.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Anything in the 5.1 or 7.1 range? I need to be able to mount the front speakers up high since there is no other room for them. Like in the corners of the room. And give me a full list if you can. Speakers, tweets, centers, subs, receiver.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

Onkyo makes some pretty decent "starter kit" type setups. Here's one suggestion within your budget:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886980008&cm_re=onkyo-_-86-980-008-_-Product

I'm not really a fan of their speakers but their receivers are pretty nice. And it will give you a starting piont and something to build off of in the future.

i really like their receivers onkyo and yamaha make good receivers for a decent price

Yeah, Onkyo is all i've ever used. I just bought a TX-NR626 and I'm all stoked because I can just bluetooth music from my phone. Also it has dual zone so once I get wires ran I'm gonna use that for patio speakers.

It doesn't have to be a kit. I can piece it together if needed but leave the different pieces with links if you can and preferably from the same place.

dual zone is a sweet bonus. Does that mean I can run each area at the same time seperately? We have a pool area also.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

there use to be an Onkyo receiver package with Boston Acoustics speakers and powered sub for $499 at one of the big box stores. look around to see if it's still out there. great for the price.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

For $500 you won't be able to do a DIY 5.1 or 7.1 system, but there are lots of home theater in a box solutions in that price range like what others have suggested. A DIY 2.1 system is going to have better sound quality, but the HTIB stuff is better than nothing and would be an easier route to go.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived