Sundown Audio

to strap or not

808faka

sup guys, got two version 1 sundown NS1 amps. been running one of them at 1 ohm for a bit now at 18 volts and have another one thats brand new that i want to wire up also. so any opinions on strapping two of them at 1 ohm? or should i run each amp at half ohm to each sub? subs are two AA smd 18s dual 1s. ive never strapped any amps before, just wondering if there is any issues i need to be aware of? or any pros and cons would help me out. electrical is 2 350 amp mechmans and 6 xs power xp1000s. with one NS1 and two 125.4s i get literally 0.1 voltage drop at full tilt,thanks for any input.

i doubt you get 0.1 v drop but even if its true you will double the amperage draw by getting the second amp. wiring them strapped at 1 ohm or .5 each will further the amperage draw.. i wouldnt do it.. you also have to remember that those 2 alts that are rated 350a actually put out less amperage the higher you set the voltage so you're really not getting 350a from each alt at 18 volts

at this point youre only hurting your equipment and soon it will hurt your pocket.. get an extra alt and 6 more batteries, maybe then you can wire both at .5 ohms but i dont recommend it

There are 2 very recent threads on this. To strap or not to strap is up to you. It doesn't change loads or voltages that the individual amps see. Most folks say to gain match.

i doubt you get 0.1 v drop but even if its true you will double the amperage draw by getting the second amp. wiring them strapped at 1 ohm or .5 each will further the amperage draw.. i wouldnt do it.. you also have to remember that those 2 alts that are rated 350a actually put out less amperage the higher you set the voltage so you're really not getting 350a from each alt at 18 volts

at this point youre only hurting your equipment and soon it will hurt your pocket.. get an extra alt and 6 more batteries, maybe then you can wire both at .5 ohms but i dont recommend it

well 0.1 to 0.3 is the most iv'e seen it drop seriously. also could you explain to me why the alts put out less amperage the higher you set voltage? never heard of that. also why would you say i'm hurting my equipment when those mechman units are fully adjustable and my amps are also 18 volt stable.

well 0.1 to 0.3 is the most iv'e seen it drop seriously. also could you explain to me why the alts put out less amperage the higher you set voltage? never heard of that. also why would you say i'm hurting my equipment when those mechman units are fully adjustable and my amps are also 18 volt stable.

youre hurting your equipment by running them at a impedance that is not recommended by the manufacturer

i will post a video explaining the amperage vs voltage as soon as i find it

for someone who runs a 18v system you figured they would know something this simple

so are you gonna answer? or just act like a shithead? its my first 16volt system. i just asked you legit questions, hoping you would reply with legit answers that would help me further understand my system. is that too much to ask?

for someone who runs a 18v system you figured they would know something this simple

so are you gonna answer? or just act like a shithead? its my first 16volt system. i just asked you legit questions, hoping you would reply with legit answers that would help me further understand my system. is that too much to ask?

Is it too much to ask that you use the search button?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

youre hurting your equipment by running them at a impedance that is not recommended by the manufacturer

i will post a video explaining the amperage vs voltage as soon as i find it

thanks id like to see that video. but i have them wired at 1 ohm right now so how is that not recommended by sundown? i swear it says its one ohm stable. if i was to add the second one then yes i could see it going against whats recommended, but people seem to run these all the time at half ohm.

Archived