Sundown Audio

Need help tuning two SD2-10D4s

Because of the hype from my co-workers, people on the Internet, listening to one of my co-workers SA8 (which sounded amazing I might add), and Brian from Sundown, I was hoping a deeper and louder bass than my previous subs. Especially considering the price I paid for them.

Truth to be told, I'm feeling a little discouraged at the moment for choosing these SD2s. I'm really hoping that I'm just being a drama queen and don't have these tuned right but, honestly I'm losing faith.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of the hype from my co-workers, people on the Internet, listening to one of my co-workers SA8 (which sounded amazing I might add), and Brian from Sundown, I was hoping a deeper and louder bass than my previous subs. Especially considering the price I paid for them.

Truth to be told, I'm feeling a little discouraged at the moment for choosing these SD2s. I'm really hoping that I'm just being a drama queen and don't have these tuned right but, honestly I'm losing faith.

I bet you it will sound much better if you change your box...how are your fab skills...I would do ported...

^ I find that bass sounds better in car trucks then it does in trucks under the seats. More the likely you would get that better & deeper sound you want if you put them in a box on the seat, or made a box that fired the subs forward towards you. To me subs downfiring dont seem to sound good.

I've been looking into the ported boxes for my truck since my fab skills are less than par. I can build motorcycles and repair vehicles all day long but something bout cutting wood, screwing and gluing escapes me...I haven't acted on purchasing a box because I was trying to go the free route (tuning the subs) because the truck has been receiving a full over-haul. From engine tune-up, shocks/springs/tire-rods/tires, to new exterior lighting, audio/video and this coming weekend project: Operation Climate Control (heating and A/C). I've only got a few more bucks for the audio/video and I planned on using that cash to purchase the 4chan amp to replace the stock amp that'll be powering the new 6x9s for the front doors and 6.5s for the rear doors.

I slept on it and decided to purchase a ported box. I purchased the Labyrinth Vented 10" box by Obcon. It's a .75cu per side (.25cu less than required) and the only other box I could find was the fox acoustic box but it was rated at 1.2 per chamber at almost double the price and needed some extra modifications to the truck that I just wasn't willing to do since it creates safety issues with back passengers.

I'll post back with results when the box gets here.

Side Show: I really wish I could but I know I'd spend about 4x as much on material cause I'd keep screwing it up. Figured purchasing would be less time and money. We'll see how it turns out. Who knows...if I come back still complaining, maybe I'll just pay one of you to build it, lol.