A Couple Questions in One

PortSideAudio

Hey guys. So I'm coming from more of the SPL world, but I am now stepping down from that and wanting to go more toward sound quality in my new car. Now I don't want anything insane, but i want something that does sound really good. So here are my questions.

Would you guys suggest a signal processor like the 3sixty?

Will a well design ported box be good, or should i go with sealed?

And lastly do I need to run rear speakers in a SQ build?

Thank you.

2002 Toyota Corolla

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Soundqubed Q1-2200d

Soundqubed HDC3.118

Soundqubed Q4-120

Alpine SPR-60

Alpine SPR-60C

Let's start out with what vehicle do you plan to go with for this application ???

Please post pics of the vehicle if possible.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

ey guys. So I'm coming from more of the SPL world, but I am now stepping down from that and wanting to go more toward sound quality in my new car. Now I don't want anything insane, but i want something that does sound really good. So here are my questions.

Would you guys suggest a signal processor like the 3sixty?

I wouldn't, a lot of people report issues with the 3sixty.3 but that could definitely be user error or just pushing it way outside its limits. I like alpine but they're pricey. An old school alpine deck and the new PXA-H800 processor. Mainly you need some type of processor to do time alignment and eq'ing. You can do all this manually also but you can't tune it on the fly so processors have come into the fold. A lot of people seem to like the JBL MS8 and the Mosconi/Helix DSPs. All are pricey. You can save yourself some money with going passive and then just getting a headunit with decent eq and time alignment. A Alpine 9887 and a imprint mic can do that. Also you can get a active crossover as well but its hard to tune unless you have a CC-1 or something.

Will a well design ported box be good, or should i go with sealed?

Depends on the sub really. You can get great SQ with sealed or ported but it matters what sub you go with and whether its more suited for ported or not. Check out basic car audio electronics theres a little calculator that helps you figure out what the driver is better suited for based on t/s parameters.

And lastly do I need to run rear speakers in a SQ build?

No realistically. Rear speakers are worthless in car audio most of the time. Also them mess with the image and your time alignment and such and can cause reflections that you don't want. Worry about sound deadening and quieting your ride.

Also what cablguy said. ^^

Processors - I prefer having everything in the head unit verses installing a laptop everytime I want to change something.

Also, concentrate on stage and image install application first and foremost. That way, there will be minimal need for processing.

Less processing used ... Better dynamics and more "natural" sound.

Enclosures- again, stage and image ... Then add sub bass if needed.

Alot of SQ setups do not have sub bass in the rear of their vehicles.

Rears - I know of plenty of SQ competition vehicles running rears.

I've won quite a few BIG first place competitions using rears.

Look up the multi time world champion Camaro from Todd Crowder (team TC Audio).

It's all about application, stage and image, test and tune.

Knowing what head unit you will be running will help alot here before recommending or bashing product ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

Processors - I prefer having everything in the head unit verses installing a laptop everytime I want to change something.

Also, concentrate on stage and image install application first and foremost. That way, there will be minimal need for processing.

Less processing used ... Better dynamics and more "natural" sound.

Enclosures- again, stage and image ... Then add sub bass if needed.

Alot of SQ setups do not have sub bass in the rear of their vehicles.

Rears - I know of plenty of SQ competition vehicles running rears.

I've won quite a few BIG first place competitions using rears.

Look up the multi time world champion Camaro from Todd Crowder (team TC Audio).

It's all about application, stage and image, test and tune.

Knowing what head unit you will be running will help alot here before recommending or bashing product ...

Wasn't trying to bash a product, there are multiple examples of people having issues with the 3sixty.3 and a multitude of other DSPs, the technologies are evolving. What I said doesn't mean a) its a bad product or B) bad for the application. And in fact I have a feeling (because of Rockfords good customer service and track record) that the issues have more been in its application and possible some software glitches that ANY new DSP or product for that matter will have.

I am surprised that you would say that about running rears. Thats interesting, it always seems that the SQ builds I have looked at the rears are a complete afterthough, I am going to have to look up some TC Sounds builds now.

OP sorry to derail a bit, more detail is needed so that a good recomendation can be made.

Its all about application with test and tune. Only install something if it needs it.

Good luck finding much info on TC Audio. Most do not advertise so they will keep their edge in competition

Hey thanks for all the responses. Sorry it took me so long to get back on here. I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee that I am going to be turning into a part time off road rig so thats why i wanted to go with a smaller foot print then a SPL build would have. I am currently thinking about running a 1-1/8" tweet, 6" mid, and 8" midbass in the doors on a three way passive crossover. Then running a ten as my sub

2002 Toyota Corolla

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Soundqubed Q1-2200d

Soundqubed HDC3.118

Soundqubed Q4-120

Alpine SPR-60

Alpine SPR-60C

Hey thanks for all the responses. Sorry it took me so long to get back on here. I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee that I am going to be turning into a part time off road rig so thats why i wanted to go with a smaller foot print then a SPL build would have. I am currently thinking about running a 1-1/8" tweet, 6" mid, and 8" midbass in the doors on a three way passive crossover. Then running a ten as my sub

eh...may be easier to go active. Maybe a external electronic crossover.

Look at the precision power 3-way component set a lot of people seem to like it. Smaller footprint too.

eh...may be easier to go active. Maybe a external electronic crossover.

Look at the precision power 3-way component set a lot of people seem to like it. Smaller footprint too.

Hmm, okay... I'll look into that, thanks!

2002 Toyota Corolla

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Soundqubed Q1-2200d

Soundqubed HDC3.118

Soundqubed Q4-120

Alpine SPR-60

Alpine SPR-60C

Archived