Sonic Electronix

need help ,how to calculate accostic inside a car ..........

hi guys,im new to this,i am building a subwoofer box in my van for 4- 12" american bass xd....my friend told me that before i build the box ,i need to measure the inside off the vehicle to find out the acoustics and ,how to tune my box.....is this true? if so, how do i go about in doing this ,is there a calculator or formula for doing this?, please guys help me,im trying to get this done in a few days,so anyone who can help,please do ,thanks......

What are your goals in this build? If you are just wanting to sound good, then you really dont need to goto the extent of all that. But if you are trying to hit the highest numbers possible with what you have, then lets get started.

boss 1200 and a ipod nano.

What are your goals in this build? If you are just wanting to sound good, then you really dont need to goto the extent of all that. But if you are trying to hit the highest numbers possible with what you have, then lets get started.

...what are you talking about? Don't give out bad advice if you don't know what you are talking about. Has nothing to do with hitting the highest numbers...

OP it depends on your car and setup. When I say setup I mean the type of enclosure you are going to build. If you are building a vented enclosure I think box dimensions and port size/shape are more important than in a sealed enclosure. It is critical that you design a enclosure correctly when it comes to a vented enclosure, a sealed enclosure is more forgiving but often times does not yield the same type of bass characteristics. In a vented enclosure you have to "tune" the port to make sure you do not "unload" the subs, ie play them lower then their resonant frequency which would cause driver failure is done often or at certain power levels. A sealed enclosure does not have this characteristic and the cone is supported by air that is being moved by the cone so often times the only concern is that you size ir appropriately so that the sub can "breathe".

I would recommend you go over to the basic car audio electronics website and read up a bit on enclosures and how to calculate different types. Not sure what the optimal type of enclosure for a VFL sub would be but my guess is that vented is going to be your best bet. Talk to your American Bass dealer because I bet they have a standard type enclosure that they recommend and would be tailored to their product that you could build.

Theres also the torres calculator or worksheet, just search this forum for it which will help you get a cut list. Also JoeX sometimes will do designs for folks as well that could be a good resource.

A well made box is going to take you a lot more then a couple of days but I guess that depends on the design, the more simple you go the faster it will be to fabricate.

Also there a ton of people on here that build subwoofer enclosures and can help you. Ask around and PM them about prices. Most are extremely reasonable. Depending on the complexity, a simple enclosure is going to run you about $200 is someone else does it and thats on the extreme low end for one that is done right.

...what are you talking about? Don't give out bad advice if you don't know what you are talking about. Has nothing to do with hitting the highest numbers...

OP it depends on your car and setup. When I say setup I mean the type of enclosure you are going to build. If you are building a vented enclosure I think box dimensions and port size/shape are more important than in a sealed enclosure. It is critical that you design a enclosure correctly when it comes to a vented enclosure, a sealed enclosure is more forgiving but often times does not yield the same type of bass characteristics. In a vented enclosure you have to "tune" the port to make sure you do not "unload" the subs, ie play them lower then their resonant frequency which would cause driver failure is done often or at certain power levels. A sealed enclosure does not have this characteristic and the cone is supported by air that is being moved by the cone so often times the only concern is that you size ir appropriately so that the sub can "breathe".

I would recommend you go over to the basic car audio electronics website and read up a bit on enclosures and how to calculate different types. Not sure what the optimal type of enclosure for a VFL sub would be but my guess is that vented is going to be your best bet. Talk to your American Bass dealer because I bet they have a standard type enclosure that they recommend and would be tailored to their product that you could build.

Theres also the torres calculator or worksheet, just search this forum for it which will help you get a cut list. Also JoeX sometimes will do designs for folks as well that could be a good resource.

A well made box is going to take you a lot more then a couple of days but I guess that depends on the design, the more simple you go the faster it will be to fabricate.

Also there a ton of people on here that build subwoofer enclosures and can help you. Ask around and PM them about prices. Most are extremely reasonable. Depending on the complexity, a simple enclosure is going to run you about $200 is someone else does it and thats on the extreme low end for one that is done right.

I interpret the OP as asking how to figure out the acoustics of his car, not the acoustics of an enclosure. In which case the guy above is asking a very relevant question.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I interpret the OP as asking how to figure out the acoustics of his car, not the acoustics of an enclosure. In which case the guy above is asking a very relevant question.

really? well if thats the case then my bad. I am not saying asking what the goal is, is a bad question thats the first step.

But everything in the post seemed to point to the box. When I think acousitics in a car I think the only way to "tune" it would be to deaden it really and measure that. Other than that you are going to be measuring reflections and possibly cancellation but thats it.

really? well if thats the case then my bad. I am not saying asking what the goal is, is a bad question thats the first step.

But everything in the post seemed to point to the box. When I think acousitics in a car I think the only way to "tune" it would be to deaden it really and measure that. Other than that you are going to be measuring reflections and possibly cancellation but thats it.

It's all good man, I'm just saying my guess is sirhutson isn't giving bad advice, but possibly answering a different question than you. I re-read the OP and now I am even more confused to what he is actually asking.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Sounds like he is brand new and his buddy is misinforming him. Op, don't worry about the internal space of the entire vehicle this early in your bass head life. Just focus on building a proper box to specs and go from there.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Archived