Second Skin Audio

2 lvl 3 15's think my box isnt cutting it

I posted this in the SPL part of the forum though after thinking about it thought I should post it here instead sense the main question pertains to the enclosure of the subwoofers.

Hey everyone, I have been around these forums awhile started with 4 pioneer 12's in my suburban in an 8 cuft box tuned around 35hz I just upgraded subs and added another battery, let me give a quick rundown of my system...

I have 8 6.5 inch pioneer midranges on 80 watts per channel (2speakers per channel) I have the big 3 done under the hood in 0 gauge, a xs power d3400 batt up there in the back I have an xs power xp3000 I am running a JBL GTO 1400.1 amp which putts out a claimed rms of 1500 watts at 2 ohms. Hooked to that amp I have 2 dc audio level 3 15's wired to 2 ohms, they are in a box measuring 20" high 48" wide and 22 inches deep the port is 6 inches wide and roughly 46 inches longaccording to torres box calc im tuned at 29.74 hz with a net box volum of 5.86 cuft s poty area of 111in^2 with 18.95 in^2 of port area per ft. so my questsion is what would be a box design that would help me for spl obvioiusly I would need to tune higher but how high with these subs? even tuned this low they dont seem to "crush the lows" the way I feel they should compared to my previous system mentioned first in this post..I should also note that there are no 45's in the corners and that the edges internally and externally of the port have been rounded over

I appreciate any help or advice anyone has to help me in the right direction

The ear ometer has me sounding loudest around 38-39 hz songs from decaf going to meter on termlab next month.

11096666_870041866371278_341401891852726

You should post this in the dc forum too. Im no expert but from what ive seen most suvs with setups in the rear respond best to sub up port back. The true competitors will tell you , you have to test different port and sub positions boxes volumes and port size if your going for pure spl but it seems like your looking for more output/demo power vs termlab #s. A double baffle and some internal bracing would help your current box but the down side would be you would lose some internal volume.

Thanks for the replys the new amp i hope to order in april I can't decide on the d_c audio 7.5 k or the d_c audio 5 k the 7.5 seems like better bag for the buck and I upgrade option later down the road.I know that it's all about test test test to get the optimum term lab results unfortunately it's $20 an hour for the meter so multiple box testing is kind of difficult as that's the only access to a meter I have is through a shop. the original stereo i had was the 412 I mentioned facing up and report back that does seem like a better design from what I've read for SUVs. thank you for pointing out though that I missed I do have a double baffle on the current box and a 2x4 between the subs bracing the baffles and rear inner port wall.

if i use a box calc that uses ts peramiteres of the subs it says they want a sealed and recommends 14 cuft per sub for a vented enclosure and thats just not an option lol

18.95 in^2 of port area per ft

trying bringing that down to like 14-15sqin. Thats a lot of port for Level 3's. I also bring your tuning up to 33-34ish. My guess is that the port is too big for those subs and your losing cone control.

that very well could be the cause I was trying for more port area as it was my understanding more port would land me more air movement i figured 18-19 was a good estimate without going overboard perhaps I was wrong. it does feel as though its moving more air than my 4 12's but it seems like its very peaky despite being harder to breathe than the 4 12's I get far less flex (I know flex isnt good) with the 15's than I did the 12's

I am putting 1500 rms to them according to jbl the pair is rated for 1800 according to dc (from my understanding they can handle quite a bit more if your not clipping them and have good power supply) the boxes net is 5.86 and dc calls for 3 per woofer is the .14 cuft really going to make that much of a difference (not being rude just curious) it seems to me without building a whole new box my best bet would be to cut 22 inches off the port length giving me 7.36 net box volume 15.06 port area per foot and put my tuning around 33.74hz

He's almost dead on DC's recommended airspace. He could easily go to 7cubes. But the port is still way too big.

recommened is 12-16 and your at 19. 14-15 would be way better

Archived