Sundown Audio

2-18's amplifier choice/opinions

Next_Level

ok this might be a long read but I will make it as short as possible.

I have not decided on head unit yet, I have an eclipse cd5030 and an alpine cda9886, not sure if I am using one of them or going with something different, from there it will be going to an audio control 6xs then out to the amps, for the mids and highs/horns, they will be running to a leviathan III.

subs are (2) HDC4 18's in a 12.7 cube net 15.6 cubes gross ported enclosure tuned at 38.21hz with an f3 of 32.3hz with a center port that is 20"Hx10"Wx18" deep.

vehicle is a 1991 jeep Cherokee with (2) 200amp alternators and 4 group 31 agm's, wiring is all 2/0 welding cable with 2 runs from alternators to batt. bank.

hopefully I have enough info listed for you to help with choosing amplifiers.

I currently have (2) AQ 3500.1 amps and (2) IA 40.1's older style black with the older logo not the newer style logo, and (2) mmats HD4000.1d's.

which one would you use if any, if you would not use either, please explain why and what your suggestion would be.

thank you for your time.

mike

ok so I will be sending off my 2 AQ3500's and AQ4, and in return I will be receiving an image dynamics Q450.4 and a crossfire 8k 12v version, so it looks like this should solve my amp choice issue .

Out of those choices mentioned in OP. I would normally do the two AQ 3500d.1s. However, I would be curious on doing the MMATs HDs simply because I haven't heard much on them. I haven't had experience with the IA amps but those from what I hear are good ones to use.

I am going to use the mmats on one of my other builds, I do like the wattage output for such a small footprint like the Brazilian's, but on this particular build I need something I can beat on, the mmats I feel will be slightly fragile for this one, I could be wrong, but I have heard that. the IA's are work horses to, if I didn't have the opportunity to snatch up the 8k I was leaning towards the IA's.

Archived