Second Skin Audio

Explanation of baffles and bracing: Help.

dcannon729

I'm going to be building a box for my 1996 Honda Civic EX, and it's going to be tuned to ~32Hz.

My sub is a sundown audio SD-12 D2.

The question: If i have a single sub like this in a not so big box, should i be fine without baffles or bracing?

I also don't fully understand what those things are... So anyone who can explain those would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

-Dylan

Here's a box with a two layer baffle and two cross braces:

2x%20pio%20pic_zps608hagmy.jpg

Fow a low power, low weight sub and a small box like you are doing they are not necessary unless you are using thin wood, if you build the box badly I don't think bracing will make that much of a difference.

Baffle = the board the sub mounts to (the one with the hole for your sub)

Bracing is wood or metal used to squeeze the box together so there is no flex..

If you are using 3/4 mdf or birch i would say your ok with no extra bracing or baffles

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Here are the bracing guidelines I try to stick to with the cabinets I build:

1. Keep unbraced spans appropriate for material used. (Under 12" for 3/4" MDF)
2. Brace across to opposite panels when possible, otherwise brace to adjoining panel.
3. Minimize bracing in corners where it is un-needed.
4. Take up the least amount of internal volume as possible.
5. Minimize bracing in high airflow areas.
I apply these guidelines to every cabinet, regardless of the size of sub or power being used. While this may result is more bracing that absolutely needed, to put it in perspective, the hifi home audio guys still brace cabinets for little 6" midbass drivers that are only going to see 25 watts max.
Depending on the size of the cabinet, I may not need to add any additional bracing at all, or I may need to do quite a bit.
If you post a picture of your plans I'd be happy to give you my opinion on what to do.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Here are the bracing guidelines I try to stick to with the cabinets I build:

1. Keep unbraced spans appropriate for material used. (Under 12" for 3/4" MDF)

2. Brace across to opposite panels when possible, otherwise brace to adjoining panel.

3. Minimize bracing in corners where it is un-needed.

4. Take up the least amount of internal volume as possible.

5. Minimize bracing in high airflow areas.

I apply these guidelines to every cabinet, regardless of the size of sub or power being used. While this may result is more bracing that absolutely needed, to put it in perspective, the hifi home audio guys still brace cabinets for little 6" midbass drivers that are only going to see 25 watts max.

Depending on the size of the cabinet, I may not need to add any additional bracing at all, or I may need to do quite a bit.

If you post a picture of your plans I'd be happy to give you my opinion on what to do.

Spot on definition, very well spokenn

Archived