Sundown Audio

Sundown 1200d quit suddenly, I'm stumped. (w/ pics)

the mange

Amp is a Sundown SAE-1200d v2 . Has worked perfectly since purchase. Cranked it louder than usual a couple days ago; all of a sudden, there was no output. At first I assumed I blew the Navone LOC that interfaces with the BMW Logic7 amp, as the LOC is rated for only 50watts of input, and I think the Logic7 can send up to 70 watts to the channels (midbass) that it interfaces with. Before replacing the LOC, the blue led was illuminated on the remote knob. After replacing the LOC, the blue led does not illuminate. After installing the new LOC, I hooked it up to a home theater subwoofer and verified that it is working and producing signal. I also verified with my multimeter that the remote turn on signal the LOC generates was present.

At this point I determined the LOC was not the culprit.

Next, I checked my voltage downstream of my in-line 120amp fuse, which was 12.4x volts, so it seems my fuse is intact. I then checked the 5x30amp fuses on the amp, all of which showed continuity with my multimeter. Next, I checked my ground, which was intact. Last, I checked the sub and verified the impedance of both 1 ohm voice coils, as well as the speaker wire connection between the sub/amp.

Here is the current state of things: When the ignition is switched on, the green "Power" led is illuminated on the amp, while the blue led on the remote knob does not illuminate. If I remove the remote turn on wire from the amp, the power led does not illuminate.

At this point I am guessing that something inconspicuous went wrong inside the amp. Here are some pics of the guts. The FETs and capacitors all LOOK ok to me, so I am totally stumped at this point. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have a multimeter, a basic understanding of circuits, and basic soldering skills. Thanks for any input.

board%202.png

board%201.png

input%201.png

input%202.png

heat%20sink%201.png

and the amp was getting signal through the rca's? and what do you mean you cranked it more than normal? does it go into protect or just no output? did you check all your wiring inside the box ect to make sure it hadn't rattled loose or anything

Did you buy the amp used?

It appears like it's already been repaired before.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

and the amp was getting signal through the rca's? and what do you mean you cranked it more than normal? does it go into protect or just no output? did you check all your wiring inside the box ect to make sure it hadn't rattled loose or anything

Yes, RCAs had signal. I mean I turned the volume up much louder than usual. Does not go into protect at all as far as I can tell. Checked all wiring inside, nothing seems loose.

Did you buy the amp used?

It appears like it's already been repaired before.

Interesting. Bought it new from Sundown. Which picture or what parts of the amp are you referring to?

The circuit traces are very suspect , they should not be that way on a brand new amp

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

this amp was not new.. you can tell the amp was repaired. there shouldnt be solder outside the board

besides the solder points

Sorry but what do you mean by outside the board? Do you mean all those channels of solder going all over the back of the board, or the pools of solder towards the top?

Archived