Sundown Audio

Sundown 1200d quit suddenly, I'm stumped. (w/ pics)

the mange

Plus all that Flux all over the board wouldn't pass qc well at least I hope not.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

you can tell its repaired not only by the channels.. look on the right and look at the solder job. nice and neat.. look on the left side. lots of huge drops of solder

Looks very much like that db-r repair job that was posted a few months back.

They do all sundown's warranty work so....

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

First, its not a SAE-1000D, its an SAE-1200D.

Second, that amp is the Version 2.

Third, that amp was not repaired and how the solder traces are from the factory.

Also heavily loaded solder on the traces is nothing new and seen quite a bit, but if you never actually see the bottom side of the amp you really never know. It is usually more common on the cheaper budget lines, like the SAE series where the budget line of amplifiers.

These are photos from the buildhouse that where sent to Jacob and hosted on Sundowns ftp before they where put into production.

SAE-1200D_new_sample-PCB.JPG

1200dv2b.jpg

1200dv2.jpg

As for your amp not working, it sounds like it may have blown.

Mosfets dont need to be cracked, burnt, release the magic smoke or 0blown apart to be bad.

A mosfet can look brand new but still be bad.
Replacing the mosfets alone wont always if ever fix the problem, almost everytime a mosfet is blown is due to it being over worked or something else in the amp blowing.

Such as a gate resistor.

When you replace mosfets you want to replace them all, even if it tests good, because it could be out of its operating range.

Chances are if you stressed one to the point of blowing the others are not too far behind it.

Typically you can remove every mosfet off the board, and then power it up to see if it turns on or goes into protect.

If it goes into protect with every mosfet removed that means there is something else blown on the board (again such as a gate resistor).

Being that it was a budget line amp, and its about 6 years old now, another possibility is the capacitors could of died, or on their way out and so far out of their tolerance the amp is not working.

Audiofanaticz, thanks for the input. You're right, it is a 1200d, my mistake. Compared to your pic of the back of the board mine looks pretty brown in several places.

The brown is noting really, its just flux from the solder, it usually scraps right off with your finger nail.

Most likely they really made sure to clean any remaining flux off the board on the amp that I posted a picture off before taking the pic to make it look best as possible.

But in all, it does not effect performance.

First, its not a SAE-1000D, its an SAE-1200D.

Second, that amp is the Version 2.

Third, that amp was not repaired and how the solder traces are from the factory.

Also heavily loaded solder on the traces is nothing new and seen quite a bit, but if you never actually see the bottom side of the amp you really never know. It is usually more common on the cheaper budget lines, like the SAE series where the budget line of amplifiers.

These are photos from the buildhouse that where sent to Jacob and hosted on Sundowns ftp before they where put into production.

SAE-1200D_new_sample-PCB.JPG

1200dv2b.jpg

1200dv2.jpg

So would it be done like that because of the board being cheap and having traces that are to thin?

I've had a few of my amps apart and I've never seen that before.

Archived