Sundown Audio

Sundown 1200d quit suddenly, I'm stumped. (w/ pics)

the mange

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So would it be done like that because of the board being cheap and having traces that are to thin?

I've had a few of my amps apart and I've never seen that before.

Well its a double sided pc-b unlike the v1 which was just single.

It can be done to cheapen the costs, or it can be done to make it stronger, while being cheaper at the same time.

Jacob said the amp had Superior soldering on the pre order thread for these, so that beefed up soldering could be just that.

Most amps are ran through a flow table once all the smd are on the pc-b which solders all the components at once.

Then It looks like it was hand soldered afterwords to beef up the key traces.

Also iirc they where also chinese made, not korean, but again the budget line and pretty cheaply priced compared to the SAZ line.

I think that the tests that where done on these amps where in the 1600-1800wrms range but cant recall.

Ok, I'll replace the mosfets and see what happens, and check some of the accessible resistors. If that doesn't help she'll go to the graveyard. I don't know enough about these to diagnose the fault(s).

I wouldnt buy new mosfets and put them in and try it, chances are you will just blow about $100 in mosfets that you just bought.

Like I said, remove all the mosfets from the board, if the amp turns on, and has no protect light than typically nothing else on the board is blown, but if its still in protect with no mosfets on the board, usually something else is wrong.

^^same, also that little diode on the fourth pic? looks a bit out of place

Anyone notice the random resistor in his fourth pic?

Seems like it's installed upside down, right.

It is most likely on the bottom of the crossover pcb due to other obstructions on the top side of the board and not being able to be physically placed on top of the other components.

its the same way in the picture i posted as well, but harder to see due to the angle of that picture.

If that was the cause of the amp not working that would be something else since it has worked for about 6 years, and the same as every other sae-1200d. lol

^^same, also that little diode on the fourth pic? looks a bit out of place

Anyone notice the random resistor in his fourth pic?

Seems like it's installed upside down, right.

It is most likely on the bottom of the crossover pcb due to other obstructions on the top side of the board and not being able to be physically placed on top of the other components.

its the same way in the picture i posted as well, but harder to see due to the angle of that picture.

If that was the cause of the amp not working that would be something else since it has worked for about 6 years, and the same as every other sae-1200d. lol

It just looked funny... But thanks a ton for the amp repair info, I may just try and fix a few of my oldies.

I love this site, always learning.

Also A.R.C. is in ohio (amp repair center).

Ive used them before, so have many others and the place is shady as hell, but they fix amps...

Same can be said about CIA Engineering but they are located in PA, but another shady place...

Googling either companies will show you that about people never getting their gear back.

I hear mixed reviews about Amp Medics in FL.
of coarse there is DB-r in TX as well that does great work but is pricy, and slow, well backed up I guess is the better word, which is Sundowns repair facility, but Im sure your amp is out of warranty.

I have a guy that fixes amps locally to me, only a few hours away, and that is where I send things to for my buddies all the time, and a couple older blown amps I found at a junk yard.
His name is Cory and does it on the side. http://brandesamps.weebly.com/

Cory is priced very fair and just did a rebuild on an atomic 7000.1d for $155 which is a steal!

But it comes down to if the amp is worth having fixed or hanging it up on your garage wall/ceiling and call it art. I have a big ceiling of shame in my garage :D

I may have found the problem, or at least part of it.

The 4 resistors in the middle/bottom of this pic (R10, R11, R12 and R42) are on the side of the board near the RCA inputs and gain adjustment knob etc.

Resistors%202.png

Anyone know what role these play in this amp?

yup those are definitely burnt.

no idea what they are for but id assume from turning it up more with the LOC, you could have put too much rca voltage into the amp blowing them.

it would be an easy fix if you can identify the color codes, or email Jacob at Sundown to see if he knows what they are, or email DB-r asking their values.

I tried googling more gut shot pics of the board hoping to get the colors of the band to know the resistors values but i could only find 1 pic and its not good enough.

amp002.jpg

Dbr could fix it but I think Jacob is changing repair company. I think afficionado is the guy or has to do something with the new repair guy

Archived