Second Skin Audio

4th order sub box for Sundown SA 12

buff_n3rd

Finally decided on a single SA 12 will be the way to go for me in a 4th order.

I have a 2011 Rav 4 and feel comfortable giving up most of my rear area to accomplish this.

One thing I can't give you any info on is what amp I would be running because I haven't got that for yet. Baby steps for me but I am open to all suggestions.

SA12 sub
42w x 18h x 30d is what I am willing to give up.

I have 13.125 cuft to play with but it sounds like I won't need all of that. If that is the case I would like to reduce the depth of the box, keeping 42 and 18 constant.

Rap and music like Bassnectar are what I listen to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hypantg6sdlitob/measurements.jpg?dl=0

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question. I really don't know. After all the reading I was under the impression that a 4th order gave you the best of both worlds; tight punchy bass of a sealed and the SPL of a ported.

My original plan was a simple slot port.

I can respect that thanks.

Since I would be saving space by not going 4th order I would opt for a pair of the SA 12.

Any assistance on box designs, pretty straight forward dimensions.

+1 to what ToNasty said.

Also two SA-12 subs in a GOOD ported box should walk all over one in a bandpass box anyway.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Have to say, "This is why I love this forum." Oh and the battlefield 4 page for us PC gamers ;)

I tried WINISD and couldn't find any sundown audio speakers in it. Any suggestions on a different box building program?

Get the newest version of WinISD, its a lot better, you can get it here: http://www.linearteam.org/download/winisd-07x.exe

You will have to enter in the Sundown drivers by hand. Its not hard, but if you follow this guide it will be even easier:

The suggested procedure for entering driver parameters is following (check first that "Auto calculate unknowns" option is checked):
1. Enter Mms and Cms
This gives fs. If either is not available, then enter fs and other parameter.
2. Enter Sd, Bl and Re
Now, you should get all but Qms (and Qts), Vas. Please note that Vas may not match exactly what is specified by manufacturer, because exact value of Vas depends on environmental parameters. See FAQ.
3. Enter Rms or Qms.
Either one will do, although I tend to prefer Qms over Rms, because it can usually be measured in driver measurement procedures.
4. Enter Hc, Hg and Pe.
If Hc or Hg or either is available, then enter Xmax and optionally either Hc or Hg if available.
5. Enter number of voicecoils.
This procedure is most accurate. Also note that it also calculates true SPL (1W/1m) value. So it might not match the marketing SPL value, which is generally somewhat vague. Not in all cases, though.
6. Correct Znom, if necessary.
If there are several voicecoils, then you must be careful when entering parameters in that case, because many manufacturers give Bl in voice coils in series, because it yields double value for Bl against parallel connection. If driver manufacturer gives Qes, Bl and Cms or Mms, then you can check how Bl is specified. For that, you can enter following parameters to calculate Re: Qes, Fs, Mms or Cms and Bl. Connection mode can be changed by changing the combobox selection. The driver editor then converts Bl and Re values accordingly.
Equivalently, you can check for Bl by entering:
Qes, Fs, Mms or Cms and Re (for desired connection mode).
If you enter resistance for parallel connection and get about half of advertised Bl, then you know, that Bl was specified that way.
Like in Driver-tab in project window, you'll probably noticed the driver icon in bottom of the driver editor window. you can drag the driver object into some project by just dragging the icon.
If you run into any trouble just let me know.
My suggestion for two SA-12s and with what you want to do would be 3.2 cubes net tuned to 32 Hz. This is assuming you are going to put rated power to them. What amp are you going to use?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived