Second Skin Audio

What enclosure?

sbakken22

Well if you wanna get good output in such a wide range you will probably have to go for quite a large 6th order. Its what is working quite well for me, (If i had more room I would of made it larger.

A series tuned box

3 Cubes with 2x 22"x4" Aero ports into a 2 cube box with 4x 15"x4" Aero ports should give you the bandwidth you require. However the box is quite large and you may run into space issues.

Should play down to the mid 20's and have solid output from 25-90ish

Isnt a 6th order hard to make? Havent done much resaerch, but I tought these were very dificult to make and figure out?

tuning to a higher frequency will help with the higher bass, but once you tune higher... you're low end tends to roll of really fast. subs in 2 or 1 chamber doesn't really matter as long as both chambers are the same size and tuning.

you said it uses back-pressure from 1 sub? do you mean that only 1 sub is powered and the other is a passive (non-powered) subwoofer?

what speakers do you have in your doors, your main speakers....

By backpressure i mean that both subs are active and playing simular, but the air from the rear sub has to flow past the front sub to get out, so there for there is created a backpressure.. Atleat that was what I was told by a friend who knows alot abut this stuff... On the image you can see how the box looks, the gray lines to the top right represents the port walls on the inside

KmBZymg.png

The other speakers in my car are only frontspeakers... (cant remember the name right now) but they are high end 6.5" componants speakers that run all the way down to 50Hz and is rated for 100Wrms each... I run something like 60-70Wrms to each now, but I can up this if I want to....

a very common mistake... the air doesnt have to "flow" past the first sub, if both subs are playing together, then both subs are pressurizing the box at the same time. having both in 1 chamber or each in its own chamber wont matter. in some cases 1 sub can have 2 chambers lol. what matters is the port area and the port length. those will determine your tuning. im currently working on designing a box that is 3 cubic feet and tuned all the way down to 24.9hz for a single 12.

for your door speakers, i would keep the cross at about 80hz... going to low can really damage the speakers.

do you have all the tools and stuff to make a box by hand?

The speakers are rated for 50Hz! sorry forgot to say that :P I do not have the best tools, but I have different electrical saws and stuff like that and the first box I made thought me alot... Doing straight cuts for the plates I can do easily but when it comes to angled and bends I have to do the on freehand with a saw.

So I have some tools, but not everything I need for a crazy enclosure with lots of angles and small fidely parts ;)

for a simple box you only need straight cuts, just wanna make sure they are straight and flat so you can get a good seal when you are assembling the box

I have these currently and from the messing around with them, not a super fan in a plain old vented enclosure but more for the opposite reason you are having. Too much up high.

They have a really nice response in a well designed 4th or 6th order.

How low do you want to play with them?

Also what are your crossovers set at for your subs?

What's the tuned frequency on your enclosure?

Im running a tri chamber series tuned 6th order. Outer chambers are tuned to 30hz into a 66hz tuned box. It plays well from mid 20's (Safely down to around 19hz) up to around 100hz (Am running a LPF at 80)

And plain old 6's are pretty easy to design and build, series I have found to be a little harder to build. But nothing too crazy. The biggest hurdle is the space requirements.

If you leave it till the last minute, it will only take a minute.

Build Log - 4x12's Trunk Firing 6th

Archived