Need help with a better box design

Went out to my first comp today. The highest I hit was 139.9 on a 34 hz burp. I think there might have been some major flaws in my box design looking for suggestions for another box. I am not opposed to any suggestions at this point but due to trunk size the sub will have to face upward. Just looking to get a little louder.

Setup

05 Chevy Malibu

1 18 FI SP4

DC Audio 2k A3 (2000rms)

Sky High Big three (2/0) OFC

Sky High (1/0) OFC ran to back

XS D3400 (starting)

XP3000 (Rear)

Box (3/4 MDF)

Exterior

Height 15in, Width 38in, Depth 30in

Port 34hz (opening facing inside cabin on bottom of box) Height 2in, Width 36.5 in, Length 18 in

The top (sub holding side) was braced with another sheet of mdf 36.5 x 28.50

The port side was also braced the same way

The port itself had 2 3/4 x 3 in mdf "leg" supports in the rear

When I first played it I had about 1-3 inches of flex on bottom of the box which I was able to reduce by putting in multiple 3 inch lag bolts.

That's not terrible for that cone area and power out of a trunk at that frequency. If you really want to get louder you must be prepared to buy an SPL meter and be ready to invest a lot of time and money into building boxes.

You should post pictures of the trunk as it sits if you want some general advice.

I have removed the old box and in the process of building a new one going with 2 6 in aero ports (planning on tuning a little higher will start with 40hz and see how that sounds and go from there). Basically same specs but chopped an inch off the height so I could actually remove the box from the trunk without having to destroy it. As I do not currently have the trunk sealed off ill see how it sounds (sub still up) port facing rear. Will post some pics of final product.

Archived