Nitrous- Preferred kits and companies?

So I was looking at power adders for my car and the turbo or procharger is way out of my price range and realistically for the amount of power I can put down a motor rebuild would be more beneficial in the long run.

So I started looking at Nitrous, done right I think it could be a good option. I am looking at something conservative, probably a 75-125 shot as its a stock motor and realistically I have no idea what the rings are gapped at.

I would like to only run nitrous at the track, probably run a max 175 shot and I want something progressive as I really don't have a lot of tire under this thing and don't have aftermarket shafts.

Only kits so far I have looked at are nitrous express and zex. Anyone familiar with nitrous and have had good luck with xyz company or kit? and also what nitrous controllers do you guys use for progressive delivery instead of all at once.

Looking for a kit less than a grand but I am more worried about reliability and longevity so spending a little more is not an issue.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More than a kit is someone knowledgeable in getting it tuned for you so you don't do any serious damage to your engine.

EDIT: Also do not forget you'll probably want to get new higher output injectors for added fuel. A lean condition can and will do major damage.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

You need forged pistons retard the timing different plugs and gap..all which will effect daily driving. Supercharger and turbos are less work.you don't have to mess with timing and spark plugs after a day at the track

well I am going for my first real tuning appointment with a local guy that got really good reviews from some people I trust. (EFI Specialties in Fredericksburg, VA http://www.efispecialties.com/ )

I am going to ask him about this as well on the 19th, but I want to get an idea before I go up there. I am guessing that at the very least I am looking at adding the nitrous stuff + fuel system upgrades, pump and injectors.

You need forged pistons retard the timing different plugs and gap..all which will effect daily driving. Supercharger and turbos are less work.you don't have to mess with timing and spark plugs after a day at the track

well with the diablosport I can mess with timing and spark advance and all that good stuff. I am going to do a custom CMR tune on it where I can choose two different tunes but yea...changing spark plugs could kill it for me...

I have 16...

Bye bye stock engine.

I've installed a nos kit for a friend and he was happy with it till the engine went bye bye it's was a 75 shot on a 03 vette.

He didn't care though Becasue he planned on getting a fully built engine anyways.

You'd be better off with something more reliable than nos like a head and cam plus a good tune.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Make sure you use the kit that injects fuel as well and use double solenoid's as a safety precaution.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

well...I was looking at the options and it looks like a system designed around the zex kit from high horse performance has most everything I would need.

Broke, I am leaning towards a wet kit (fuel + nitrous) and not the dry kit which could support more power...not that my motor would. Also looking at a two-stage or progressive setup which is a lot easier on components. And I know heads and cams would be more reliable but I am looking at almost 4k$ for a non-mds (mds kills 2 or 4 cylinders I forget and runs the motor on 4 instead of 8. pain in the ass and makes your car feel like it has major issues, you can completely feel the transition) cam and a stage 3 port and polish. And I think with the right controller, ring gap and plugs I should be safe. Shortblock is down the road a bit. But point well taken, I am looking into cheaper options for heads/cams.

But none of this stuff is cheap.

Nitrous: $1k (wet kit w/bottle heater, plugs and a WOT sensor) [possibly new rings and pistons would kick it up probably another $600]

Supercharger: $6k for the kit from procharger...+ whatever fuel system mods I would need.

Turbo: $7-8k for a kit with everything. Probably 4k$ if I did it myself and have the pipes welded by someone else. (single turbo) [This is assuming a decent turbo is being used, I MAY be able to get away with a cxracing turbo for a little bit but would rather run garret or precision]

N/A option:

$3k-5K for cams/heads or

$7800ish for 6.4L short block + heads/cams

If you don't know what you are talking about don't give bad advice. I've personally used hsw and dynotune kits with good results, my z will be getting a nitrous outlet plate kit. To be safe you need a fuel pressure safety switch, window switch, non projected tip colder plugs, I personally use ngk br7ef plugs, wide band 02 sensor and a good tune. You won't need new pistons if you keep the shot small, and if you go with a wet kit you won't need injectors either, I don't know what the stock fuel system on your car can handle so I don't know if your stock fuel pump can keep up.

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

Archived