Second Skin Audio

Building my first box. Advice needed

Inetba

Alright so I think I'm ready to build my first box but I need some advice as this will be the first time I've ever really used power tools.

First the specs. Single 15" Digital designs 615 subwoofer wired at 2 ohms connected to an M1d amplifier.

I wish my trunk was wider, but I can't go any wider than 33" including the width of the MDF.

Here's my sketchup design. six inch round port.

rIqfpnp.png

and here's a link to the image in case the thumbnail isn't readable.

www.imgur.com/rIqfpnp

Secondly I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't even know what I need. I read somewhere that glue bonds stuff together but screws keep them clamped. What glue should I use for MDF? What about if I want to glue PVC to MDF for the port? Is it ok to use staples instead of screws? Or should I just stick to screws? I read something about slightly starting the hole before putting the screw in to avoid splintering the wood. How do I go about doing that?

Tomorrow I'm buying: A jigsaw, 5 blades, PVC pipe, wood glue, staple gun and staples if staples are better than screws. And MDF.
I already have a power screwdriver with a TON of attachments for drilling holes.

Any other advice is more than welcome! Should I buy clamps or will the staples/screws be enough? What kind of clamps? What size?
I live a 6 minute drive away from home depot and this is my only day off for the next 7 days. I have to basically have the box ready to go by tomorrow night/Monday morning.

Is this a serious question? It seems like you have an awfully steep hill to climb by tomorrow if you've truthfully never used power tools before.

I'm not going to comment on your box dimensions or port area, I'm no expert in those regards. I will however try to give you an idea where to start.

First you need to determine what are bywalls and what are flywalls, in other words, what overlaps and what abuts, then develop your cut list.

Then have Home Depot cut your MDF per your cutlist. You may have to pay per cut. A jig saw is not going to cut straight or clean enough for you to cut the MDF yourself.

A square is useful, unless you prefer the Pythagorean Theorem.

Use Titebond or another carpenters/wood glue, I wouldn't use Gorilla Glue.

Unless the staple gun you plan on buying shoots staples an inch and a quarter long, use coarse thread deck or drywall screws in pre-drilled pilot holes to prevent splitting. Be extremely careful of overdriving and stripping holes. A cheap Kreg jig can extremely useful for building boxes. You're only screwing to clamp the glue joints.

You need silicone to seal the box seams from the inside, around your port tube, and also where your wires enter the cabinet, terminal cup or not.

Gorilla Glue may work to attach your port tube, but a mechanical fasterner, ie: a nail, screw, or staple will probably work better.

I strongly suggest that you watch few boxbuilding videos before making your first cut.

Good luck!

keep your screws 1.5 from edge of mdf with blow out if you dont. Use a cabinet stapler if you staple 1.5 inch staple also.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Thank you guys so much! I have the cut list and while I have experience with an electric screwdriver, I have all day to screw up and try to get the box right.

So far it's going ok, I hope. The up front cost is about the same as having the local shop make a custom box, but now I'll have to confidence to make other boxes in the future without issue.

eZjNXVhl.jpg

So far so good!

mdP5MUxl.jpg

Next boxes are going to be MUCH cheaper! I got all the plywood for $30! Tools were kinda expensive... But hey! Box! I also snagged all of their 6" pvc pipe! They hadn't restocked since February 2nd of last year XD

Box is almost done, have to make a trip to WalMart for more caulk. They did a HORRIBLE job cutting the sides but I made a paste from sawdust and glue and liquid nail (lord knows there was enough sawdust) so it should hold up. It's only a temporary first box anyways, just to see if I can do it.

Archived