Second Skin Audio

Building my first box. Advice needed

Inetba

Like prodigal said, a decent circular saw will really make things easier. With a couple basic jigs you can do a lot of differently cuts accurately.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Box is done! All that's left is to tune the port. I left the port at 12" because I figured it would be easier to start with a larger port and cut it smaller. Right now it's tuned to 32hz but after cabin gain it peaks at 36hz.

My last box peaked at 48hz so it was very surprising to hear it play lows with GREAT authority.

Pictures are inbound.

9ed3IOMl.jpg

Don't get the cheap latex liquid nail stuff from Walmart, the silicone stuff is much better.

oINwXBQl.jpg

My first circle!

P6yFEJhl.jpg

Port test fit

FJEVgZrl.jpg

Box test fit. Beautiful!

RQFuuEWl.jpg

Now for the circle for the sub. I was too afraid to make the hole too big, so I ended up making it WAY too small.

XBQROmjl.jpg

Here's my garage workstation. Not exactly a wood-working shop, but it did the trick.

MUU4F1yl.jpg

SUCCESS!

9LjgDC7l.jpg

IT'S WORKING! IT'S WORKING!

Once I get the port tuned, I bought a 90 degree attachment and I'll drill it into place or silicone caulk it into place. Probably caulk it, just to be on the safe side.

Archived