Sundown Audio

Strapping amps ohm question

csawatzky

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really!?! I'm going to push about 1400 watts rms to each sub at 2 ohms, subs are 1250rms... I was just wondering if I could strap and get a little more power since people say they can handle it... I've looked for hours wondering what load id be at but couldn't find anything so I started this thread... And now I'm getting bashed because I've seen three different answers and not sure who to believe... Can't anyone explain it so I understand and gain the knowledge? That's kindve the reason of forums like this isn't it?

Really!?! I'm going to push about 1400 watts rms to each sub at 2 ohms, subs are 1250rms... I was just wondering if I could strap and get a little more power since people say they can handle it... I've looked for hours wondering what load id be at but couldn't find anything so I started this thread... And now I'm getting bashed because I've seen three different answers and not sure who to believe... Can't anyone explain it so I understand and gain the knowledge? That's kindve the reason of forums like this isn't it?

Sell your D4 subs, get D2 subs, most amps recommend a minimum of 2ohms strapped...if you want your equipment to last, either wire each sub to each amp or get D2 subs....

Here is how to properly wire them when strapped

SPEAKER WIRE CONNECTIONS:

Step 1. Connect 12-Gauge Speaker Wire from the Positive (+) Speaker Output on the Master amp to the Positive Terminal on the Subwoofer (+). Amp (+) to Sub (+)

Step 2. Connect 12-Gauge Speaker Wire from the Positive (+) Speaker Output on the Slave amp to the Negative Terminal on the Subwoofer (-). Amp (+) to Sub (-)

Step 2.5. Please Re-Read Step 2 . This is the part EVERYONE gets wrong.

Step 3. Connect 12-Gauge Speaker Wire from the Negative (-) Speaker Output on the Master amp to the Negative (-) Speaker Output on the Slave Amplifier. Amp (-) to Amp (-)

Islandpride...I know how to wire everything my main question is how many ohms would each amp see... I'm guessing but is it like hooking up one amp to the subs when strapped so it would be at one ohm... But since there are two amps they see .5ohms each... Does that sound right

Islandpride...I know how to wire everything my main question is how many ohms would each amp see... I'm guessing but is it like hooking up one amp to the subs when strapped so it would be at one ohm... But since there are two amps they see .5ohms each... Does that sound right

first , amps don't rise.

second , lets say each amps sees .5 and your subs/box/vehicle cause a 3ohm rise . your wired to 1ohm so your wired rise is 3ohm. so now your at 4ohm total. Each amp should see 1.5ohm more each. so each amp will see 2ohm in theory.

And you can't control rise. A sub not in a box will still show rise just by pushing on it. your over thinking this. Set it up and let it hammer.

first , amps don't rise.

second , lets say each amps sees .5 and your subs/box/vehicle cause a 3ohm rise . your wired to 1ohm so your wired rise is 3ohm. so now your at 4ohm total each amp should see 1.5ohm more each. so each amp will see 2ohm in theory.

And you can't control rise. A sub not in a box will still show rise just by pushing on it. your over thinking this. Set it up and let it hammer.

You buying the replacements when they blow?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived