Some advice on electrical

I have currently 2014 taurus SHO, factory 170amp alternator, factory 650CCA battery group 65 up front, and 4 kinetik hc800 batts in the trunk. I'm experiencing some low voltage issues on my zapco c2k 9.0xd amp in the trunk. It's usually fine, however today at full tilt for example I was listening to I got 5 on it and it was fine for about 2 or 3 minutes, i got off the highway and when I went to roll my window down, the power draw was enough to make my amp cut out in protection mode from low voltage situation. After that it happened again without touching the window, it hadn't had a chance to recover yet I guess.

I'm really trying to avoid replacing the factory alternator, 1 because what I've found aftermarket at dcpower is fucking expensive, but 2 its alot of hassle IMO. If that's what it comes down to then so be it, but I'd like to exhaust my other options first if they're worth it.

So my main question would be, do you think that swapping the factory batt up front for an xs power 6500D would be enough to cover this situation? Now its very hot and humid today, so I'm sure that also is playing into my alternator output. I have the Big 3 done with all knu copper 0awg wire, and I even have an additional 0awg ground ran from my alt casing to my rear battery bank just because sometimes I have OCD.

Not only is it randomly cutting out, I feel like I could run a little more gain overlap if i had more juice, I'm at -5db right now on the sub amp, it's played louder in the past but with more of the amp dropping into low voltage protect mode.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Replace the factory battery and add another one by the amp and you should be good. Not perfect, but should help a little and keep you from protecting

Sounds like you need to go ahead and pick up an upgraded alternator. For my vehicle I looked at xs power for a group 65 and it was almost 500, I think. WIth that price you might as well go ahead and get an alternator.

2017 Chevrolet Silverado LT CC - Will be running 2-3 DC Audion M3 8s, unsure of amp, Mechman 320 amp alt.

2005 Ford F150 - Bagged on 24s, fully shaved, raised bed floor. 

thanks for the replies, i found a D6500 xspower for $320 new shipped so I'm really leaning towards that vs the alt, I'd prefer to not replace something like that right now if i can avoid it, so im going to do everything else I can first. I also have a pair of 1farad caps in my pile of parts, I might try hooking them in and seeing if it makes even the slightest dent(may be imperceivable)

So...... What voltage are you charging at? What voltage are you dropping to? Need hard numbers here not just feelings. Get your measurements at the amp and report back. Somethings funky... No way you should be going into low voltage protect with a 2200w amp on a 170a alt and 140+ amp hours of battery after only a few minutes

So...... What voltage are you charging at? What voltage are you dropping to? Need hard numbers here not just feelings. Get your measurements at the amp and report back. Somethings funky... No way you should be going into low voltage protect with a 2200w amp on a 170a alt and 140+ amp hours of battery after only a few minutes

get a volt meter before you buy anything else

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

I don't have a number off the top of my head but next time I get a chance to measure it I'll put my meter on the amp inputs and I'll set it to store the lowest voltage it sees and bump something and see what I get. I'll report back once I have the exact data. If the weather cooperates I can probably do this today after work. I'll try to get the current consumption as well.

My car sits at 14.3v idle. I can tell you the vm1 i have hooked up front drops to around 13.5-13.7 when the amp cuts out, this is not at the amp input rails though so I need to get that. This is just a casual visual observation of that meter.

Yesterday was excessively warm and humid and on my ride home I was only charging at 13.7-14.0v, I've been at 14.0-14.3 almost every day just cruising around.

A few things to keep in mind as well, Ford PCM controls this alternator's output, the c2k 9.0 is a regulated amp as far as I know, and I'm unsure of the ability of the factory battery to discharge at a useful rate during current demands.

Archived