Second Skin Audio

Who wants to help me design an enclosure

Looking to design a subwoofer enclosure for SQ. I have no experience in the designing/calculating for airspace and internal braces, but the building portion is easy to me. Have done a bit of research but I just dont understand the science portion.

Listen to rock, electronic music of all ranges and types, alternative, metal and a small amount of hip hop

Sealed box preferred, will be installed in the trunk of a 1997 VW jetta, jetta has a false wall behind the rear seats amplifiers are fastened to

Subwoofer in question, being fed 600W RMS, link to manufacturers web page below

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/rss265-ho-44-10-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer.html

Would like the subwoofer box to be baffled and braced as seen here, also acoustic stuffing taken into account.

http://xtremerevolution.net/designing-subwoofer-box-sound-quality/

Amplifier used for subwoofer

http://www.cadencesound.com/q7000m/

Max dimensions

13" height

10" depth

37" width

Can play with more depth and less width if needed, trying to keep some trunk space.

Will paypal someone with firm referrals to print me a build sheet.

I think I have covered most of my bases, but I am new to this so I probably missed something. Any other advice on proper enclosure construction/design is highly acceptable.

Thanks all

Brandon

we will need your max dimensions and amplifier you will be using to power the sub.

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

Here is a design for you:

63CXbLh.jpg

It has a net internal volume of 1.0 cu ft, which will give you at QTC of .707, which is most people consider to be the "best".

It only has one brace from the baffle to the back panel and sides, but since the top and bottom panels only have an unbraced span of 7" bracing those panels is completely unnecessary.

If you think this looks good to you I'll post all the info you need to build it.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Well there are a couple reasons to add stuffing. One is to absorb reflections so you don't get standing waves inside the box. You can add a little (say 4 oz.) of stuffing to help with this, though the dimensions of your box are pretty small, which means any standing waves would have to be at a higher frequency, much higher than the frequencies at which the box will be used, so they shouldn't be a problem.

The other reason to add stuffing is to lower the QTC of the box. The same thing happens when you make the box bigger, the difference being, when you make the box bigger it also increases the efficiency in addition to lowering the QTC. When you stuff the box it decreases the efficiency slightly while lowering the QTC. Since your box is already at a QTC of .707 there probably isn't much reason to stuff it, though you could certainly give it a try and see if you like how it sounds, its easy to do/undo. Nothing needs to change as far as the design goes to accomodate stuffing.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

My break in time lasts about as long as it takes me to find the perfect song. :)

TEAM SOUTH Bassahaulic Productions

The ONLY Bright Atlantic Blue DiamondBoxx L

Drew Jones
Bassahaulic Productions

4 SSA ZCON 15"s
2 Sundown SCV-6000's
6 AGM G31's

161.6 @ 40Hz Outlaw
159.8 @ 36Hz Legal

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Ok. I spose I will try it without first and see how it goes. Is breaking in a subwoofer/speakers a myth or truth, I have seen both sides of the story. Also what do you want pay pal wise for your help?

Break in definitely happens with subwoofers, with things like mids I don't think it makes as much of a difference.

With that being said, there really is no reason to do any break in procedure. Just play the sub/s, as they loosen up a bit you may notice some better performance over time.

You don't owe me anything for the design. I'll post up the rest of the info you need to build it in a bit.

Builds:

Archived