Sundown Audio

2 AA Havoc 12s thinking Flatline?

DevinG

So here I am about to embark on a new build, and I was wondering if I could get some input on this. As the title states I'll be picking up a pair of havocs for my ride, but I cant help but wonder if a flatline FL1 will be enough to push them or if I should move up to a 3k+ amplifier instead. I'm not hard set on flatline so I'm open to other opinions on different brands as well.

Thanks in advance,

DG

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well on second thought I figure I should give more info than just my chosen subwoofers. For now I am on stock electrical, which is a G34 under the hood, a 140A alternator ( will upgrade if needed, already contacted Mike @ singer) And the enclosure ill be using is 5 ft^3 Tuned to 32Hz. I worry about putting over 3k rms to an enclosure at the top end of the recommended enclosure volume. Since the only 3k rms amp I have seen is the scv-3000.1d and its at the top of my amp budget, and even then it will undoubtedly do over rated.

edit: i will also be running at .5ohm nominal load to combat box rise

Save more, up your budget, buy an amp that puts out the power you want at 2ohms (~5kW @ 1ohm amp), wire to 2ohms for better amplifier efficiency and don't worry about impedance rise, it's going to happen no matter how you wire. Just my 2 cents. Unless you plan on doing an impedance sweep to see what frequency your impedance is lowest at and competing with tones, there's no sense in wiring low in my eyes. Less efficient for little gain. What's your amp budget?

you are contradicting yourself.. dont want to get a 4k amp so it wont over power the subs but want to wire at .5 to combat impedance rise. just get the scv3000 and wire it at 1 ohm.. the impedance rise will put you where it needs to be and will sound a whole lot better. also your electrical will love you for it

you are contradicting yourself.. dont want to get a 4k amp so it wont over power the subs but want to wire at .5 to combat impedance rise. just get the scv3000 and wire it at 1 ohm.. the impedance rise will put you where it needs to be and will sound a whole lot better. also your electrical will love you for it

I said what i said about wiring at .5 because I've never seen or read about an fl1 doing over 2500 watts rms at that impedance on a standard charging system, since I'm obviously not using a 16v or 18v system. that puts me at 500 watts under recommended on 2 havoc woofers as I'm sure you know. But thanks for the advice.

Save more, up your budget, buy an amp that puts out the power you want at 2ohms (~5kW @ 1ohm amp), wire to 2ohms for better amplifier efficiency and don't worry about impedance rise, it's going to happen no matter how you wire. Just my 2 cents. Unless you plan on doing an impedance sweep to see what frequency your impedance is lowest at and competing with tones, there's no sense in wiring low in my eyes. Less efficient for little gain. What's your amp budget?

Interesting, I hadn't considered the efficiency loss when wiring to .5 ohms. However, considering that the highest output alternator I have found for my car after asking singer, and mechman is a 270A, wouldn't that 5k amp draw aprox 250 amps of current on average? If so I don't want to go too crazy since this is my daily I'm working on.

I used the FL2 with good luck. Diff subs, but the amp never protected or even got warm.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

I used the FL2 with good luck. Diff subs, but the amp never protected or even got warm.

Yeah, i have heard nothing but great things about them from people who use them, since it is a zenon board I wasn't too suprised that the work well however B). But after reading Miguel's advice I'm considering an FL2 since i want to give them a go. Ive only had experience with rockford in the past and want to try something new.

Archived