bluetooth vs 3.5mm signal quality

fyerbyrd22

since berger fucked up my dash, im rearranging things...my 10.5 galaxy tab s is going below the dash and the single din is going in the factory location...my question, has anyone with BIG systems (mid 50s) had any issues running bluetooth to their tablets?..ive heard some people say the signal is shit compared to 3.5mm and at high volume it cuts out..only problem is that it will look ugly if i do 3.5mm because the cord will be visible on the deck..but id rather have a slight eye-sore if its a much better signal..anyone have any opinions?

personal build in progress

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188656-2013-kia-sorento-6-12-no-wall/

www.facebook.com/TurbulentDesigns

I only have 2 15's on 750 watts. But I have never had any issues of cutting out at any type of volume. I have because my friends bluetooth on his phone was shit, so that was the only time. Only problems I have ever had with BT and sound systems is when a HU has shitty syncing software and takes forever to sync up. The reason why I love bluetooth though, if someone calls, it cuts my music for me, so damn awesome.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

im looking at a new deck now as well with rear 3.5mm but i would still need to account for the space the wire connection takes up on the tablet when i glass it in...thats why im so caught on the decision

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188656-2013-kia-sorento-6-12-no-wall/

im looking at a new deck now as well with rear 3.5mm but i would still need to account for the space the wire connection takes up on the tablet when i glass it in...thats why im so caught on the decision

I see where you are coming from. I would love to see some more experienced opinions on this. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get that aux cable in with some small modifacations.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

the 3.5mm will fit...i just need to account for it when i glass...if i can use bluetooth however, then i only need to account for the micro usb so it can charge

I do not use anything Bluetooth (yes, I have the capability). The dynamics is simply not there. What can I say, it's "over the air" transmitted signal.

Well, I do use it when I'm talking on the phone, but not anything audio or video ... I use my USB though. Alot !!! I download music / video onto flash drives ... works great !!!

Same quality as a well recorded CD or DVD ... at the moment, there is 2 32g flash drives loaded in White Lightning with tons of music and vids ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I'm looking at doing the same with a galaxy tab but straight to the bit one instead of a deck, you can get a 4 in 1 adapter so you can charge through micro usb then use the hdmi to convert to RCA to run into the head deck. i haven't tried it yet so I'm not 100% sure but it saves having the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Search MHL HDMI adaptor on ebay, seller is GTCAU

Hope this helps

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

13e4c3e0-74af-42b9-8d07-ebbd2b684e14_zps7d713c4c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some good information from this website: http://superuser.com/questions/464388/3-5mm-analog-audio-vs-bluetooth-audio-quality

Option 1: Bluetooth audio.

Option 2: 3.5mm TRS analog audio connector (wired).

Facts about Bluetooth:

• Bluetooth audio protocol is lossy, meaning that some of the data is lost. However, it is digital, meaning that the audio reproduction in the headset is bit-exact the same data that was transmitted.
  • The data is encoded to a digital format that is compressed in a way that loses some of the source data (but hopefully not enough that you can perceive it); but the data stream is much more resilient to interruption, due to buffering, which means that you are unlikely to notice even if some other electromagnetic frequency transmission interferes with your bluetooth (temporarily).
  • See A2DP at Wikipedia for more information about Bluetooth audio. To put it simply, there are more than one supported audio codec, and they have varying pros and cons in terms of bandwidth consumed, energy consumed, compatibility across devices, and quality. Some of the newer codecs such as apt-X produce what many consider to be superior audio quality, but device support is limited compared to the older codecs, or SBC which is required by the A2DP standard.

Facts about analog audio:

• Analog audio over a standard 3.5mm headphone jack (technically called a "TRS" connector) can be very high quality if the audio playback device has a good DAC. An amplifier (separate or built-in) can make the signal sound even better.
  • A "good pair of cans" (good headphones) can sound amazing with this dated analog mode of transmitting audio down a cable. If you are using a very high quality DAC on the source audio device, chances are it's better than the DAC that has to be in the bluetooth headphones to convert the bluetooth digital data to analog, because the in-headphones DAC is limited by battery power and size constraints -- but a sound card in a computer is much less constrained. Even sound chips in smartphones are great these days.
  • All analog audio is subject to interference with the audio cable. Most audio cables are not shielded from external electromagnetic interference, and certain models of computers (especially Core 2 Duo era CPUs with on-board graphics) have been known to spew electromagnetic frequencies that are picked up as a "grinding" or "buzzing" noise on the analog headphone wire, if it is near enough to the computer. Some LCDs can do the same. Depending on your situation, this interference can be even worse than the loss of audio quality of bluetooth's lossy encoding.

The answer is that it heavily depends on your situation, and exactly how sensitive your headphones are, and exactly how good the Digital-Analog Converter (DAC) in the bluetooth headset is, and which codecs the bluetooth headset supports, and........ (many other things). If you're using the headphones in a way that a wire would get near certain models of LCD or computers, the analog signal quality may be terrible due to interference. If you're using the bluetooth in a way that it's in a heavily saturated 2.4 GHz environment (e.g. lots of WiFi signals, microwaves, cordless phones around), it may drop out due to heavy interference and crosstalk. Also you have to be able to live with the quality loss of lossy encoding for one of the bluetooth A2DP codecs, if you go that route. You probably can't detect it if you listen to lossy audio vs. lossless, but some people like to fake themselves out and say that they can tell ;)

Personally I always try to find lossless music for my ipod, and then connect Line out doc to keep the music digital and uncompressed right into my headunit (Pioneer Deh80prs) through usb. This means the sound I hear is processed through the DACs on my headunit rather than the Ipod which are of much higher quality. Sounds marvelous.

Archived