Second Skin Audio

My first Big project.

OriginalAce

Hey hey! SMD Forum, looking for some ides and suggestions about a subwoofer

So im starting a project for some bass. Have some questions and need some ideas. B)

First things first. What to buy and does Alpine brand speakers have good quality. I have looked up, two different alpine`s 2x12 inch type-R or one 15 inch. and the both have 2x2 ohms and 4x4 ??

Secondly. Is it too much for a 2001 1,4 16v Golf mk4 and looking to build a box myself with fiberglass (bit stylish). Budget for the woofer is around 250 euros

Living in Estonia aswell so not the best market.

Looking forward for some ideas.

Best regards Erki.

There are tons of options for woofers etc. but if alpines are easy access for you they are decent. I vote two 12", 2x2ohm or 2x4ohm depends on what amp you're going to use. And yes that wil fit really well in your golf :)

Have any experience with fibreglass? Would be really cool to see so post a build log when you get started!

Thx for the response.

What are the top brands in woofers/amps and are they hard to get here in Europe?. Or maybe I should start by looking for a great amp and then getting a woofer/woofers...

No I have not, but the internet and some other knowledge will help ;) And im ready for some new experience.

Thx for the response.

What are the top brands in woofers/amps and are they hard to get here in Europe?. Or maybe I should start by looking for a great amp and then getting a woofer/woofers...

No I have not, but the internet and some other knowledge will help ;) And im ready for some new experience.

Ground Zero sells high quality equipment in European markets. Maxxsonics has some fair offerings (Hifonics may be available in Europe). Your choices are rather limited over there I'm afraid and you'll pay high for anything that's even remotely good.

This is my take on it:

I've been looking at Sundown a lot and they have several dealers in europe.

Also Fi, Ascendant Audio and B2 I know you can get at least from the UK on BladeIce. They've got some SMD stuff, Sky High wiring and xs power batts so good products to be found there. A little cheaper than oredering from the US.

B2 seems like a popular brand in Erurope and looks like really good equipment.

I liked the idea of DC woofers but last i looked I could only order from them directly, that's a while ago though.

Many more options then this but you'll just have to look around and see what you like and do some research on it. Would also advise you to look for brands in your own country, in Norway we have a brand I like called LIB, they have stuff most similar to Sound Qubed from what i can see. It's a good product at reasonable price so see if you can find something similar. (And almost forgot, Gladen is an interesting brand, same company as Mosconi)

And golfs are easy to get loud, easy to build in so you're lucky there:) Also consider 10" woofers if you need some exstra space for amps and if you want a cooler layout than just a big box.

If you're good at working with your hands and have a somewhat relative skill sett fibreglass isn't that hard, but it takes practice and some experience as everything else:)

I have done a little bit of glassing work (see links in signature if you like) but so far my main advice is: do it right from the very first step and it'll turn out good, and give you less work and better results in the end.

2x 10" woofers of the Alpine brand will do. :)

I went to a meeting once and wound a guy who was coning and makeing some of his own brand woofers. I was thinging of getting intouch with him and ask some questions of my own. He told me yesterday that the box and the inner Hz off the car matter the most. So for a simple build u dont need a big a** woofer :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived