TURTLE WAX LENS RESTORATION KIT REVIEW

So I've using this product since owning the Bimmer. Before that my S-10 had glass headlights so I had no need to use this product.

Cost is $9.60 at Walmart. Some kits can run up to $30. Save your $$$.

IMAG1645_zpsuksaoejb.jpg

As you can see the truck really needed them. First the compound to remove the oxidation. You can use a 1500rpm pad and drill. I went old school and used elbow grease.

IMAG1654_zpsp2ywsr2z.jpg

I kept rubbing with repeated compound until the oxidation no longer appeared on the towel. It took a few minutes. If you're going to use your fingers and firm pressure, as the towel begins to squeak apply more compound use your other hand. Your fingers will get fatigued after a few minutes.

IMAG1655_zpszidxwuyz.jpg

Pretty much done. Fingers are killing me. :)

IMAG1657_zps2k2fayjw.jpg

The box said "If the oxidation clears, move to step 3 and apply the base and clear coats". Instead I used the pads. I used each progressive scuff pad for 2 minutes with lots of lube in a cross hatch pattern. Attacking the same direction from the left then the right, switching hands and position. (The instructions called for 1 min. per pad).

IMAG1659_zpsalbrv7wl.jpg

After 8 min. of scuffing. I applied the base coat and dried with a hair dryer. Then applied the clear coat to prevent yellowing.

IMAG1660_zpsynwr6tjn.jpg

Took a bit to get done, but much better than before!

IMAG1662_zpsqnj1l0gl.jpg

Good as new for now. This saves me $90.00 for after market head light replacements for at least a year.

IMAG1661_zpsbykarh7f.jpg

From what I've seen, lens restoration only lasts about 12-18 months, than the plastic begins to oxidize again. It's a natural process.

The kit has enough base and clear for 2 cars. I put each wipe in a sandwich bag to protect them. Put the kit in an air conditioned room and the base/clear can be reused again next year. That's what I did.... The Bimmer and the Jimmy- same kit, 1 year apart!

Hope this helps someone. Save your $$ man!

-Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Turned out decent, but honestly, save your cash....toothpaste does the job as good or better. Make sure it is the paste though, not a gel

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

have you tried using "deep woods off"?

with deet

That surprisingly works. I bought the meguiars kit and my wife seen and said watch this. She grabbed the Off and did a quick scrub with it and cleared it up pretty well.

It's like rubbing your wiener up against a sheep.

Yes, there are cheaper products that work, but these plastic headlight covers have a protective film on them that washes away over time. What you guys are really doing is the same as what compound paste does for automotive paint. There is no real protection after you scuff it with Deet or toothpaste. It's only a bandaid. Thus must kits come with a base and clear- which will eventually wash off as well. Everything has a life span.

-Frank

looks like new!

2000 Ford Ranger Sport Ext

Digital Designs DD915J

4.91 net birch box, inch port @ 33hz

FSD FZ2600

FSD FZ100.4

Pioneer DEH80PRS

PRV Audio 6MB200-4 6-1/2" Midbass Woofers

Tymphany BC25SC08-04 1" Silk Dome Neodymium Tweeters with Waveguide

Archived