Second Skin Audio

Sub suggestions for jeep

JoeJeep

Hi guys, new to the forums here as a member although I've used them for years now as a guest. With that being said I'm looking for suggestions on a pair of 12s for the cargo space in my 1998 jeep cherokee.

A little background:

This is my first time doing car audio on my own. I'm a union electrician apprentice so I have some basic knowledge of electrical theory and can work with tools.

I have already installed a sony cdx-gt57up (which I'm looking to upgrade), a pioneer gm-d8604 4 channel amp, wired with 4 awg welding cable for power and ground fused @ 80A to power 4 kicker 40cs654 coax speakers (open to opinions about these as well) in the front doors and rear sound bar wired with 10 awg speaker cable. Im happy with the sound although the speakers pop when bass hits at about 50% volume. I know the highs can take it if i trim the bass down. The speakers are rated 100w rms/300w max although I'm sure they're probably a bit less.

So the question is what would be a good sub/amp matchup for my existing setup with the kickers. I'm looking for bass that you can feel and shakes the mirrors (SPL I guess). I mostly listen to rap and rock. A few options I've looked at so far were soundquebed and re audio. Any help is much appreciated.

What is your budget?

Soundqubed is a great brand and im sure you would be happy with them. And for the money, you cant go wrong, but there are so many options out there its hard to tell you what you would like.

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

I like the price of the soundqubed's (also read good things in the forums) so I guess somewhere around that for the subs and another 200-300 for the amplifier if that's realistic. Although I'm still planning on upgrading my battery and alternator cables to 1/0, so any where i can save without sacrificing quality I'd like to. I do understand you get what you pay for though.

A decent single 15" on around 1200 watts is a really sweet spot for performance/price. You generally don't have to do any major electrical upgrades to run that amount of power, a single 15" should fit will in the space you have, and one larger sub costs less than two smaller subs. Just my suggestion.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Triticum thanks for the response. I was thinking along the same lines with one 15" instead of 2 12's. What are your thoughts on the hds 300 15? Also now considering the hdc 3.0 15 if I'm only ordering one. Amp recommendations for the sub you'd suggest is appreciated as well. Thanks again.

Both the HDS315 and the HDC315 are good subs. Of the two I would probably prefer the HDC315 due to its lower QTS and it works better in smaller boxes.

Probably my two favorite 15" subs are the SSA ICON and FI SSD. They both cost a bit more though, but they are really nicely made subs.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Crescendo BC2000 will do for the HDC315, the other options would need less power like the Soundqubed Q1-1200D both amps are relatively inexpensive. The HDC315 sub will work for a high output application on about 4 cubic feet net pretty well, you should have the space in that vehicle for one.

Archived