Second Skin Audio

I Need Clarification On Enclosure Types

basshead111

I have been hearing lately from some people i know that a ported sub box is only loud in general frequency area that you create your box in. Ex: Say you create a box tuned to 35hz, he is saying that it will sound loud and good between 32hz - 38hz. He said that a sealed box hits all the frequency levels perfectly and it is louder than a ported box when you stuff the box with pillow stuffing and make it so the subs are set on a diagonal plane compared to the rest of the square box. Can someone who has a lot of knowledge in this area please explain to me how this works and if hes right or not.

Thanks in advance!

A ported box will be louder around the tuning frequency but that does not mean it will sound bad everywhere else.

The rest of that is just bullshit.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

A sealed box has better bandwith and is louder if you stuff it with pillow stuffing ?

That is what he told me lol.

In a sealed box the back wave is lost and therefore is less efficient, no way around that. Damping can help flatten response in sealed box that need it but damping doesn't make it more efficient. Loud you can get with any type of box, just keep adding drivers amps and electrical until you have enough.

I have been hearing lately from some people i know that a ported sub box is only loud in general frequency area that you create your box in. Ex: Say you create a box tuned to 35hz, he is saying that it will sound loud and good between 32hz - 38hz. He said that a sealed box hits all the frequency levels perfectly and it is louder than a ported box when you stuff the box with pillow stuffing and make it so the subs are set on a diagonal plane compared to the rest of the square box. Can someone who has a lot of knowledge in this area please explain to me how this works and if hes right or not.

Thanks in advance!

Who ever these "some people" are, I suggest you no longer listen to them. They have been giving you a lot of mis-information.

If you have any specific questions about any of that stuff just let us know and I'm sure you will get some good answers.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

This is one of those threads that could get crazy technical. Or just die because of the ridiculous misinformation.

My guess is the latter.

But since I'm in here... a vent reinforces frequencies near tuning and adds output due to adding another energy device. Above tuning... vented boxes act and sound very much like sealed.

Damping can and does alter (lower) the Qtc of an enclosure. "Pillow stuffing" is a strange term to use, but many use Polyfill. It's not the best choice, but it works.

Dem lowz doe!!!!

ported%20v%20sealed_zpsxiwdjzrs.gif

Archived