Second Skin Audio

Box Design 1 Dc XL m2 15 4.5 Cubes? 4th order? Aero port?

Ihqz

Any input is appreciated, thanks
Vehicle : 2000 Eclipse
Space available : ( Depth 22 x Width 32 x Height 16.5)
Subwoofer make and model: 1 Dc XL m2 15 on 3k
Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Need help!
Everyday Music
Tuning Freq : 31-32 Hz ?
Volume : 4 cubes? Dc says Atleast 3
Questions:
Need help on box design. 4th order or aero port box? the sub needs too face forward (unless 4th order). What will be a better design for the sub? How many aero ports and what size would be needed? Can the port be forward facing? external aero port? can the port and sub face forward if not sealed but a good fit? this the same car with a side firing port https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELV1...lbN7SQ&index=7
. This is with the external port and forward firing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKRw-zxjPo . Feel comfortable with building any design and have the tools to do so (or atleast try)
Thanks for your time!

• 4 weeks later...

Any input is appreciated, thanks

Vehicle : 2000 Eclipse

Space available : ( Depth 22 x Width 32 x Height 16.5)

Subwoofer make and model: 1 Dc XL m2 15 on 3k

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Need help!

Everyday Music

Tuning Freq : 31-32 Hz ?

Volume : 4 cubes? Dc says Atleast 3

Questions:

Need help on box design. 4th order or aero port box? the sub needs too face forward (unless 4th order). What will be a better design for the sub? How many aero ports and what size would be needed? Can the port be forward facing? external aero port? can the port and sub face forward if not sealed but a good fit? this the same car with a side firing port https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELV1...lbN7SQ&index=7

. This is with the external port and forward firing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKRw-zxjPo . Feel comfortable with building any design and have the tools to do so (or atleast try)

Thanks for your time!

I have no experience yet with 4th order, but I would suggest sealing off the trunk, and forward facing. If you do not want to seal off the trunk, then from what I understand firing them to the rear gives better SQ/more SPL. Same goes for the port, give it something to load off of, like the side of the trunk.

There is nothing wrong with an external port, but it just takes up more usable space inside the car.

Running some numbers through Torres:

for 2 6" areo ports: 12.jpg

with a slot port:

Capture12.jpg

though they aren't what you were asking in terms of net volume, both boxes would work great, IMO.

Early 1999 F-250 Powerstroke , Extended Cab

Current Audio Future plans

5 Cu Ft, shared chamber, 28hz

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

AQ1-2200.1 @ .5ohms Mechman 240 AMP Alt

2 Batteries stock + (1)XS Power D3400

Kenwood Head Unit

2345.jpg

and if you put the slot port in a corner it would share 2 walls, not sure what kind of space you have outside the box, the air has to be able to efficiently move.

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

Kenwood Head Unit

dont go larger then 3 cubes please dc subs are designed for small enclosures, thank you =)

Especially with 3k on it, larger enclosure on same power = more cone movement, just something to think about.

With that in mind...maybe something like this.. took the width down so you would more likely have sufficient room for the port to breathe...

456789.jpg

edit: and it is more the tuning you wanted. Just make sure you use .25cu ft of bracing(432cu inches), which is quit a bit, but you will need quite a bit. IIRC, someone once recommended every 7" or so. 1" dowels are what i use, which consume .785 cu in per inch of length. That is just about impossible, so I would just use 2 inch dowels if I were you. Those will be 3.14 sq inches per inch of length. You would need over 100 inches to call it good, which is quite plausible given your dimensions. That will make for an incredibly strong enclosure.

FYI, a little or lot short on the bracing will just make the tuning lower, as it will bring up the net volume.

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

Kenwood Head Unit

Archived