2 18" Fi Q's, crown amps, pioneer receiver. Box is built

So, I've been wanting to do this for a while and I finally manned up and bought the subs. I've had some crown XLS 1000 amps laying around for about 1 year or so, and I decided it time to put them to use. So the plan is to buy a 70-80 inch tv on Black Friday, but I wanted to get this thing started before then. I went to HD this weekend and bought some sheets of MDF and supplies needed for this project.

Long story short. I just ordered 2 18 inch Fi Qs that I'll be using. The plan is to put them in a 24 cubic foot box tuned to 23hz. Hopefully the subs get here soon, I love me some Q's.

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sound cool man, should be a fun project!

If I may make a couple suggestions, you might consider making two separate boxes, one for each sub, instead of one large box for both of them. Spreading your subs out in your room can really help even out the sound. With your subs in just one location its pretty common to have really great bass in one part of the room and then almost nothing just a few feet away. I've experienced this plenty of times myself. Multiple subs really helps fix that. Also with two separate boxes you won't kill yourself when you try to move them around (at least not as badly).

Another suggestion, if you are looking for box design ideas, there is a really popular HT sub box design called the MartySub. Its 11 cu ft tuned to 17 hz, you could shorten the port a bit to bring the tuning up to 23 hz for your Qs (which should work very well with that amount of space and tuning BTW). If you are interested here is a link to the design info:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1648673-martysub-faq.html

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to post pics!!!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Sound cool man, should be a fun project!

If I may make a couple suggestions, you might consider making two separate boxes, one for each sub, instead of one large box for both of them. Spreading your subs out in your room can really help even out the sound. With your subs in just one location its pretty common to have really great bass in one part of the room and then almost nothing just a few feet away. I've experienced this plenty of times myself. Multiple subs really helps fix that. Also with two separate boxes you won't kill yourself when you try to move them around (at least not as badly).

Another suggestion, if you are looking for box design ideas, there is a really popular HT sub box design called the MartySub. Its 11 cu ft tuned to 17 hz, you could shorten the port a bit to bring the tuning up to 23 hz for your Qs (which should work very well with that amount of space and tuning BTW). If you are interested here is a link to the design info:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1648673-martysub-faq.html

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to post pics!!!

Thank you for the tips, this will be the first time I do this so it will be a learning experience. The Q's I bought are specifically built for HT. I spoke with the guy I That I usually go to for all my Fi/AA needs and he suggested I use those box specs. The good thing about building a big box is that it can always be made smaller. I'm pretty excited about getting this thing started. Hopefully I can have this thing up and running come playoff time for the NFL. I need my own space to watch my patriots repeat

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

i want to do one too but dont know if to use the sp4 or the 4 havocs

I've been wanting it to do it for a while, and I figured it was time to do it. originally I wanted to use ib3s, but I bit the bullet and spent the extra cash

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So, my Q's should be showing up in the next couple of business days.

Minor update. I've been gathering pieces for this little project. So today I ordered some stuff.

Ordered my receiver:

34100E66-AD0E-43FE-A200-B83331015AF6.png

D241E804-056B-4B61-B366-8FE5B5BB6D2A.png I ordered 3 sets of these, as long as they sound decent, which in sure they will, I will be happy.

AECC635E-31A0-4F13-A704-548CB9FDD1AD.png

Pretty excited to use these banana clips.

FFCE8753-3FBC-4506-976C-125655F80513.jpg

I'm using two separate amplifiers, I've had these sitting around so I think it's time they get used.

I'll post pics of the woofers when they get here. The Q's are were made specifically for a HT set-up. Saturday I should be able to get my hands on a TV. I'll be gathering some more stuff as the days pass.

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

Im thinking about getting the same amps. But 1 is enough for me. I also have the pioneer receiver but I think it's the 80

My brother has a crown 4K one, but he uses is to DJ or did, so I bought these last year and they've jest been sitting there. I wish I would have ordered a higher wattage model but my original plans were to use one for a sub stage and one for a few sets on 2 way components. Just need to buy some connectors to convert the receiver to the XLR plug. This thing went a tad bit over budget.

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

So, some packages came in today. I ordered the speaker wire from knukoncepts. I went with a 100 ft spool of 12awg and 20 ft of 8awg for the woofers. I also ordered the RCA to XLR cables. Hopefully everything is here soon. These Q's got some weight to them. The pictures don't do them justice. Keep in mind that I've had SMDs, Team Fi's, and level 5''s, so I'm not just talking. Anyway, as stated before I'm going with a 24^3 box tuned to 23 Hz. Everything is almost ready. This is going to be a slow build since we are redoing the room in the house where all this is going. I do have some ideas on how to set everything up. ***I do want to make it clear that isn't going to be a sq set up so speaker positioning to me is not going to be that important.

4F1D9984-E1A5-4804-B6B6-3343022F5EFF_1.j DF6EBE9D-75E6-44ED-A0F1-7BA3D47996F3_11.

29A81A6C-99D1-468E-85EC-351FFEB417AB.jpg

930AFF24-285A-4E89-ADDA-D8469983612C_2.j

36302235-CCEE-424E-A792-A677F0DB5ACB_4.j

B9D8A954-7D14-4903-8FB0-DD3C9F639D08.jpg

92EAF220-1C1B-4172-AC61-23BA574CEEAD_1.j

CE469E5B-C75C-4112-B096-834C02CA695D.jpg

19ACF0C4-BD55-4460-9C5F-392B441C295D.jpg

2770F646-7753-4EC5-B88F-C706AFCB1992_1.j

That might say Custom idk ;). The guys over at Fi have always taken care of me, so when it comes to woofers I will choose this brand over anything out there.

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

Archived