Should have gone to sleep. Kenwood KDC 9011!!

Deeznutz

So, I found a new hobby, collecting Kenwood MASK cd players.

I started with a MP 8017. Changed the ribbon and it turned on. Own it for $47 ish dollars. She's in the Jimmy now!

I bought a V6017. It turns on with a new face plate but no sound. Own it for $45. Oh well.Could be used for parts.

I bought a 9011. Arrived with a bent right side slid mechanism. A$$hole Ebayer purposely took pics cutting the right side out of the pic. I thought he didn't know how to work the camera. I was able to bend it back. Still did not turn on. Repaired the ribbon with a piece of speaker wire. SHE TURNED ON!!

Unfortunately, I ripped the CD player ribbon on disassembly. Own it for $35.

Now I am cross referencing which players use the same cd mechanism to bring her come back to her prime.

I really want and currently on the look out for the KDC X911.

I just purchased a MP919 for $60 this am. It has Sirius and 4V outputs for me if the 9011 falls through, and I'll give Christian the MP8017.

Anyway, here is the video. Gotta get to bed, gotta work tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C39B1erDmNU

-Frank

Still waiting on the ribbon. I checked the V6017 again. The V6017 has no high level outputs, but the RCA output work just fine.

I found and ordered from www.pacparts.com. They have a cool cross referencing feature so I'm going to see if the audio ouput sections are the same for the 2V units.

The reason I'm doing this new hobby is because pawn shops sell "not working" cd players for $5.

The goal is to go to LKQ, and find kenwood and pioneer chassis' and remove the audio output section if they are compatible. I find alot of chassis' still in the

dash.

Someone from Ebay contacted me about my DEH P960MP faceplate. They wanted to know if I had the chassis. I threw away the chassis before fixing the Kenwood stuff.

I should have kept it and fixed the ribbon. Grrr.

I guess the ribbons tend to be the Achilles Heel on these motorized units.

-Frank

Ah yes, another one of those "Tested Working" auctions. The MP919 arrived today.

Did it work.....NOPE. Luckily I had a ribbon on hand to replace it with.

Take a look at the sides. Who takes a CD player out iwth a screw driver? I had to un-tweak the damage.

mp919_zpsoso2hxzc.jpg

Removing the front face to access the ribbon. Kinda boring video. last 3 leads are faulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFIZ3LcJxwk

After the ribbon repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsvTH5f7RS0

The unit now working, flipping, and playing! This thing has everything MINUS Time alignment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cz9nQTj-zc

-Frank

My very first aftermarket radio was a kenwood with the mask feature,

Was an awesome radio till it went haywire one day and just keep opening and closing non stop.

I believe it was one of the first ones.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

My very first aftermarket radio was a kenwood with the mask feature,

Was an awesome radio till it went haywire one day and just keep opening and closing non stop.

I believe it was one of the first ones.

I always wanted these bad boys but not for the price they were advertised for. I showed the kids the motorized ones and now they want them.....Xmas is around the corner too so it would make for an easy gift(s).

-Frank

I wish I could remember what model it was, it was an awesome radio and I wouldn't mind tracking one down.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived