Macbook Pro Questions [ for Comp Sci / Programming ]

Whats up yall. Hope yall thanksgiving went well.

Anyways, I had a question concerning Apple's Macbook Pro. I am currently a college student in computer science and I have as recently built a great PC. But now that I am transitioning from community college into a 4-year, I would likely need a laptop for on the go. Now I am interested in website development, desktop applications, as well as android / iOS app development.

My main question is, will a mac be a relatively smart decision over a windows? Specifically, a 13.3" 2.6GHz Dual-Core with 256 SSD storage as well as 8GB RAM (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FGX82LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-26ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display). The reason I am looking into the Mac is to play around with app development on the iOS platform as I can't do it on my windows PC. If I want to continue to using windows such as Visual Studio, I will have my PC as well as I can use bootcamp on the Mac to launch windows. For extra space exceeding 256 SSD, I can grab a 1 TB External hard drive to carry around .

Will the 2.6GHz suppor the speed of compiling / multiple tabs without damaging or slowing the reading / writing of the laptop? Also, I read Macs tend to last longer than windows but the cons are, no type of gaming . As well as, the price tag for the parts we are getting.

Any advice / experience from people who program / current computer science students who use Macs as their primary laptop. Thanks!

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'd get a Windows laptop over a MacBook for what you're using it for. Only thing you lose out on is iOS/Mac dev.

Which is quite an important aspect to me but, as windows, how long will the laptop cost me? What is around that price range that competes / is better than the Macbook pro as a great "on the go" laptop/notebook. But to be honest, I am leaning towards Mac just for the ability of iOS development. But the main question was , can the 2.6GHz support the coding needs.

As for windows, what are the laptops that compete with it around that price range

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

If you need a Mac to do iOS app/programming then you get a Mac

I do a lot of video editing and I've consider getting a Mac laptop to have the portability for laptops they seem a better option than Windows but the price tag makes me think about

Right now I'm using a hp laptop with amd a6

It was $300 lol

If you need a Mac to do iOS app/programming then you get a Mac

I do a lot of video editing and I've consider getting a Mac laptop to have the portability for laptops they seem a better option than Windows but the price tag makes me think about

Right now I'm using a hp laptop with amd a6

It was $300 lol

Haha I was looking for windows laptop such as Asus, Lenovo, etc, but from my reading, they all seem to overheat / have problems after a year and a halfish compared to Macs can last up to years. but thats all personal opinion. It's just the high end PC laptops go for $1800-$2000. The ones that are less than $1300 I feel like is going to die within a year and a half or have problems . Thats why I'm open to advice and opinions. haha

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-29%20at%2012.59.

hmm?

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Anyways, I had a question concerning Apple's Macbook Pro. I am currently a college student in computer science and I have as recently built a great PC. But now that I am transitioning from community college into a 4-year, I would likely need a laptop for on the go. Now I am interested in website development, desktop applications, as well as android / iOS app development.

My main question is, will a mac be a relatively smart decision over a windows? Specifically, a 13.3" 2.6GHz Dual-Core with 256 SSD storage as well as 8GB RAM (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FGX82LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-26ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display).

The reason I am looking into the Mac is to play around with app development on the iOS platform as I can't do it on my windows PC. If I want to continue to using windows such as Visual Studio, I will have my PC as well as I can use bootcamp on the Mac to launch windows. For extra space exceeding 256 SSD, I can grab a 1 TB External hard drive to carry around .

Will the 2.6GHz suppor the speed of compiling / multiple tabs without damaging or slowing the reading / writing of the laptop? Also, I read Macs tend to last longer than windows but the cons are, no type of gaming . As well as, the price tag for the parts we are getting.

Any advice / experience from people who program / current computer science students who use Macs as their primary laptop. Thanks!

I ​have the same storage and RAM as you. I have the 2.4ghz i7 though. I can't speak about the i5, but my i7 slays. I have edited in iMovie, downloaded in iTunes, had safari open, all while having Windows apps active in that partition. As for storage, you'll want an external or additional if you have a lot of multimedia files. I ONLY store music and my school documents on my mac, and 80% of my storage is taken up. Like what you're considering, i have a 1TB external.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

My main question is, will a mac be a relatively smart decision over a windows? Specifically, a 13.3" 2.6GHz Dual-Core with 256 SSD storage as well as 8GB RAM (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FGX82LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-26ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display).

The reason I am looking into the Mac is to play around with app development on the iOS platform as I can't do it on my windows PC. If I want to continue to using windows such as Visual Studio, I will have my PC as well as I can use bootcamp on the Mac to launch windows. For extra space exceeding 256 SSD, I can grab a 1 TB External hard drive to carry around .

I ​have the same storage and RAM as you. I have the 2.4ghz i7 though. I can't speak about the i5, but my i7 slays. I have edited in iMovie, downloaded in iTunes, had safari open, all while having Windows apps active in that partition. As for storage, you'll want an external or additional if you have a lot of multimedia files. I ONLY store music and my school documents on my mac, and 80% of my storage is taken up. Like what you're considering, i have a 1TB external.

Yours is a quad core im guessing ? I heard quad core shits on the dual core but I can't afford the quad or nor do I want to go the 15" route. And what are you running your windows om

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Honestly, the whole thing about macs lasting longer is straight up bullshit. So long as you pick a decent laptop (Asus is actually a great brand) and treat it well they will last just as long. Apple doesn't use any special voodoo magic, or any special parts.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FE664LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macBook-Pro-24ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display Is this yours?

Honestly, the whole thing about macs lasting longer is straight up bullshit. So long as you pick a decent laptop (Asus is actually a great brand) and treat it well they will last just as long. Apple doesn't use any special voodoo magic, or any special parts.

I get you. All I'm basing it off of is reading forums and reviews. What's a good Asus for $1300 that's light and transportable. The mouse track must be great

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Archived