XS Power

Battery keeps going dead.

I have a 2000 Buick lesabre with 2 12" Soundqubed subs wired to 1ohm on a Soundqubed 1200watt mono block amp. Basically my car starts to sputter and turns off while im driving if I have my subs on so now I just ride with my radio completely off. I jumped to the conclusion that I would probably need a new battery and I went by autozone to have it tested and sure enough the battery was bad. I have a Exide 78s Car battery the specs on the battery is:

Exide NASCAR Select Auto/Truck/SUV Battery takes the power of the racetrack and gives it to you.

• 11-9/16 in. x 7-7/16 in. x 7-9/16 in.
  • 44 lb.
  • Terminal Voltage: 12V
  • Cold Cranking Amps: 750
  • Cranking Amps: 900
  • Battery Type: Lead Acid
  • Terminal Type: SAE Top Post
  • Reserve Capacity: 130 min.

Apparently I need a new battery that will be able to handle the load of my subs. I am kinda a newbie to car audio on my own I usually get help from the forums. What would be the best battery to purchase. I really dont want to spend alot of money Im a college student so If I can avoid it I would be happy with something that will get me by but not so cheap that I waste my time.and little bit of money. LOL

Thanks in advance Guys!

Edited by Nipsy06

Check to make sure your alternator is charging properly, such as having all your accessories on and the voltage is at 13.2volts or higher.

he said in OP that he had the battery tested at autozone and that it is bad

are you suggesting he does this with a bad battery?

not necessarily, i mean if he gets a new battery he should do that test. Or attempt to charge his current battery before running the car with it in, and then do the test. I just have a sneaking suspicion that his alt is bad. He could even remove the alt and have it tested, but that's probably a bit more work.

Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do.

Has it happened multiple times. When my truck actually died on me in traffic is was the alternator. If your batt went dead the car would still run off the alt just wouldn't start.

Edit: and yes pull the alt and have it tested.

Edited by mcfalcon

Still learning but have started gathering.

Well the crazy thing is I just replaced the Alternator a few months ago.(Back in February) I mean could the Alternator get drained from the subs? Yes It has died a few times. The first time I was sitting in traffic and it turned off on me. The second time was at a drive thru. The last time I had my subs on jammin on my way to work and it died on me while I was driving. Luckily I was turning into my job parking lot out of the road and was able to coast into a parking space. While I was driving the car jolted and the lights dimmed really bad. It happend like 3 times thats when it shut off and I coasted into the parking lot. Anyways, You guys are always really helpful here and I really appreciate it Thanks So Much!

P.S. It hasnt happend in a few wees and I do quite a bit of driving. I just simply leave my radio off so that no additional power is going to the battery from the subs and I havent noticed any of those issues. Thats why I assumed it would be the battery. (But Im not a mechanic)

I would start with alternator for the reason that your vehicle can run without a batt just not start without one. Hopefully you will still have warranty on it.

Still learning but have started gathering.