Sundown Audio

GrantMcl97

Don't worry about CEA compliance, it's a joke that's only useful for 4ohm ratings.

A good amp that will produce advertised RMS and higher, is going to cost 25cents per a watt. Take price of amp, divide by highest RMS power out advertised, and that's how much that amp is. The closer to 25cents or higher, the more likely that amplifier is to do what it is supposed to do. Quality isn't cheap. All SoundQubed amps are about 22cents per a watt. Not the highest quality, but they will get the job done, and do it much better than hifonics will.

I don't know man...

Once I saw that video, I've been very skeptical of the 2200's... even though that isn't the current generation.

It's going to be hard to say... Because after seeing that amp run on the dyno, it definitely did not pass their claims of 2200w @ 1OHM with 1% THD... Because that's the certified test and the certified test didn't get anywhere near that. The dynamic RMS did, but they specifically say 2200w @ 1OHM with 1% THD.

Now, that amp in the video was the last generation one, so the new one claims to have the same board, but upgraded internals. I hope that means better capacitors... but I don't know since I have not seen a gut shot of the new amp.

http://www.soundqubed.com/New-Amplifier-Line-Up-_b_19.html

Don't worry about CEA compliance, it's a joke that's only useful for 4ohm ratings.

A good amp that will produce advertised RMS and higher, is going to cost 25cents per a watt. Take price of amp, divide by highest RMS power out advertised, and that's how much that amp is. The closer to 25cents or higher, the more likely that amplifier is to do what it is supposed to do. Quality isn't cheap. All SoundQubed amps are about 22cents per a watt. Not the highest quality, but they will get the job done, and do it much better than hifonics will.

I don't know man...

Once I saw that video, I've been very skeptical of the 2200's... even though that isn't the current generation.

An amp that does ~100 under rated at 13.xx volts versus an amp that does ~300 under rated at 13.xx volts? I watched the video back when it was first posted. They say the hifonics uses better parts, yet i still sit here having only seen a handful of soundqubed amplifiers that have had issues, with only one of those that failed (owner left it powered on without a load and cooked a couple resistors), yet every week theres someone on this forum, let alone the other car audio forums, that talk about how their hifonics has failed.

In reliability, quality, and output, SoundQubed wins against Hifonics IMO. Thats not to say I wouldnt use a better brand than SoundQubed if i could. But i have two working three-year-old subwoofers and four working amps (newest being a year old, the others are much older with the AQ logo still), six working 6.5" speakers, and four tweeters that all have been produced and sold by SoundQubed/AudioQue, and until things start taking a shit or breaking or failing beyond my ability to repair, why stop using good working things?

Now, that amp in the video was the last generation one, so the new one claims to have the same board, but upgraded internals. I hope that means better capacitors... but I don't know since I have not seen a gut shot of the new amp.

http://www.soundqubed.com/New-Amplifier-Line-Up-_b_19.html

Soundqubed isnt the only company using those capxon capacitors. Dc audio, digital designs, crescendo audio, twisted sounds, sundown have all used them as well.

I don't know man...

An amp that does ~100 under rated at 13.xx volts versus an amp that does ~300 under rated at 13.xx volts? I watched the video back when it was first posted. They say the hifonics uses better parts, yet i still sit here having only seen a handful of soundqubed amplifiers that have had issues, with only one of those that failed (owner left it powered on without a load and cooked a couple resistors), yet every week theres someone on this forum, let alone the other car audio forums, that talk about how their hifonics has failed.

In reliability, quality, and output, SoundQubed wins against Hifonics IMO. Thats not to say I wouldnt use a better brand than SoundQubed if i could. But i have two working three-year-old subwoofers and four working amps (newest being a year old, the others are much older with the AQ logo still), six working 6.5" speakers, and four tweeters that all have been produced and sold by SoundQubed/AudioQue, and until things start taking a shit or breaking or failing beyond my ability to repair, why stop using good working things?

So far, their subs have been nothing but awesome for me. I love SoundQubed stuff, don't get me wrong, I've never had an issue personally. I just recently saw that video about two weeks ago and had a co-worker that has been struggling with his 2200.2's. He had a 4500.1 and changed it to a pair of 2200's strapped because he couldn't run at 1OHM on his HDC415. When he got his 2200's, they both came with busted up remote gain controllers and they can't seem to push the HDC415 very much at all.

I do a lot of craigslist surfing for good deals on car audio stuff and I see SQ 3500's and 2200's on there all the time that need repair because they don't work. Not really sure the background story on what happened with them, but they do go bad.

Back to the dyno test, SoundQubed claims 2200w RMS @ 1 OHM with 1% THD. That is the 1 OHM certified test, not the dynamic RMS test. It got 1149w at 1OHM with 12.61v on the certified test. Even if it had the full 14.4v which is approximately 40% more power, it would still fall way short of their 2200w with 1% THD claim.

I don't know man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVvUyesaIok

So far, their subs have been nothing but awesome for me. I love SoundQubed stuff, don't get me wrong, I've never had an issue personally. I just recently saw that video about two weeks ago and had a co-worker that has been struggling with his 2200.2's. He had a 4500.1 and changed it to a pair of 2200's strapped because he couldn't run at 1OHM on his HDC415. When he got his 2200's, they both came with busted up remote gain controllers and they can't seem to push the HDC415 very much at all.

I do a lot of craigslist surfing for good deals on car audio stuff and I see SQ 3500's and 2200's on there all the time that need repair because they don't work. Not really sure the background story on what happened with them, but they do go bad.

Back to the dyno test, SoundQubed claims 2200w RMS @ 1 OHM with 1% THD. That is the 1 OHM certified test, not the dynamic RMS test. It got 1149w at 1OHM with 12.61v on the certified test. Even if it had the full 14.4v which is approximately 40% more power, it would still fall way short of their 2200w with 1% THD claim.

As would the hifonics with the supposed "higher quality capacitors"

Archived