Second Skin Audio

Box Advice?

RockeyDA

No, the port extension does not count as extra enclosure volume. Enclosure net volume is just the empty space inside the box that isn't getting taken up by anything else (sub, port, bracing, etc.)

what about the length of the port inside the box? would the area were the air flows threw the port count as box volume? because i only subtracted the wood thickness.

and looks like its gonna be more than an L port, i think im just gonna add folds till i can get my tuning in the low 20's

Current Subs: 2 Alpine SWR-1522D's, Sundown X-18

Current Amps: SAE-1500D on 100A 14.4v psu, Technics SA-560,Some Sony, Some Pioneer - crackles if on to long

No, the air inside the port does NOT count as box volume. You need to subtract that amount of air (in addition to the panel thickness) to determine your net volume.

If you want to measure where you tuning is, its easy to do. The port length formulas don't always get it right. To test play sine wave tones through your sub a moderate volume. You can get free sine wave tone generator apps for your phone. Watch the cone movement and move your tone frequency up and down until you find the point where the cone moves the least, it will almost come to a standstill. It can help to place the box with the cone facing up and put some sawdust or salt on the cone to highlight the movement. The frequency where the cone moves the least is your tuning.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

No, the air inside the port does NOT count as box volume. You need to subtract that amount of air (in addition to the panel thickness) to determine your net volume.

If you want to measure where you tuning is, its easy to do. The port length formulas don't always get it right. To test play sine wave tones through your sub a moderate volume. You can get free sine wave tone generator apps for your phone. Watch the cone movement and move your tone frequency up and down until you find the point where the cone moves the least, it will almost come to a standstill. It can help to place the box with the cone facing up and put some sawdust or salt on the cone to highlight the movement. The frequency where the cone moves the least is your tuning.

i dont own a phone and i cant afford one if i did want one. i got a function genrator, ile stick with that, its a bit off with its tones but i know what different freq sound like. basically around 60hz its acurate but 0hz is really more like 10 so thaty gives you an ideah on how off it is.

1 more question, if i reverse mount my sub (not that my hole is big enough for it) dose that add volume to the box since the cone would be carving outward?

and for extending the port on the box, im only gonna be screwing for test, probby cover gaps with duct tape to seal off, then glue it when i like it. so i can go back if i dont.

Current Amps: SAE-1500D on 100A 14.4v psu, Technics SA-560,Some Sony, Some Pioneer - crackles if on to long

Anything you can use to generate a sine wave tone will work for testing tuning.

If you reverse mount the sub it will add volume, not only because of the space in front of the cone like you said, but also because you don't have the motor of the sub in the box taking up space.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

well, i got my hours cut at work becase its slow seson. using my extra time at home i fixed the circular saw, it had a stripped bolt loosly holding the blade on, making it useless, wd40, a vice grip on the motor, and a socket set alowd me to get the bolt out to replace and re lubricate the hole.

now i can cut my wood at my own house and the big one (dun dun dun) 45 Deg Cuts !!!!, finally i have something that can cut at defined angles! to celebrate i think im gonna try and put a 45 in the bend of the port if i like it.

so i had to cut the 45 deg cut several times before i got a usable one, the problem weas it was really hard to keep straigt, ended up hanging a pice of wire off of the side of the flat metal plate of the circular saw and using that as a gide to get straight cuts. but it only came out right once i used a different wood.

you can see the frayed ends on the other wood, it was way worse on a 45 deg cut, witch sadly the 45 still aint right, its more like 50-55 but tis close enough i might not even need to break out the Great Stuff.

this has defiantly bin a learning experience, and my hang something off the metal plate thing is gonna help alot, i only can take off so much at a time but worse comes to worse i just make a few cuts and drill a few holes in the plate so i can have different spaces from the blade.

my next box will have straight cuts unlike this one.

if1uPht.jpg

im gonna build this thing, probably gonna post a vid if it turns out good, but either way ile post something.

follow up! im not happy with it and might take it off, i seem to have more coverage but im not hitting any notes as hard as i was before. i think ile play around with it how it is till the weekend. also my port noise on lows is worse no supersize.

yRe18EM.jpgwe65odj.jpg

here is the old one for reference.

DwOzQVe.png

This is the new response from my mic, i tried position the woofer box close to how it was with the port firing at my desk.

5ZqzEHD.png

EDIT***, I take it all back, I LOVE IT LIKE THIS,

it took a real world music test, my lows are slamin so hard now, i headed tot he toilt and every door in the house was rattling. still cant hit the low low in big kirt my sub, its almost all port noise no bass.

*******one more eddit

IM smiling ear to ear, i straight up love this, its hitting were i need it to in most my songs so hard, soooo hard. im really happy right now!

as im speak im tearing up the house with "Young Jeezy - What I Do (Just Like That)"

ok, so using a sheet of 3/4" thick wood im about to build another box, this ones for the zombie kicker i threw together. this is the port calculator i use, i know you said they can be kinda screwy, want to know what you think of this one? and i click yes on slotted.

http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com/HowTo-1Woofer-Box-CAL%20Port%20lenth%201.htm

im gonna start getting my measurements now and if you think its a bad calculator i would like a suggestion.

im gonna they making this one to be the bass end of a little boom box were i carry around the woofer and the speakers are cliped on the screen of my laptop.

my lesser hours means i have to wait at the buss stop for almost 2 hours so trying to make it fun.

also wanna see what this kicker can do, because since i brought it to life it goes berserk on the lows, 2" maby a little over on excision.

What size woofer and amp for it? 1/4" is pretty thin for a sub enclosure, so you'll get a lot of flex in the walls without a ton of bracing inside the box.

was a type o, as always im running on now sleep, ment 3/4"

i was thinking .75" and failed to put that into a fraction in my head.

and amp is probably gonna change alot. amp is what i have laying around and feel suited for the job. might be 400wrms one day and 15 the next. this is a box for screwing around with a sub i brought back from the grave.

and i figured out how im gonna do this, im gonna need more wood than this sheet, hopefully by the weekend i have it built.

DdHA3vt.jpg

Archived