Second Skin Audio

American Bass XFL15 Box Specs/Build Help

Kyle13130

Need to build a box for 1 XFL1522 for daily listening. American Bass only gives specs for SPL boxes and they don't reply to any of my emails. It will be powered by a Crescendo Audio S1500.1. I also plan on putting in a .5" lexan window (roughly 12"x18"). I'll paint the inside with a Shellac based primer and oil based paint. My last box I built was pretty basic and consisted of 4 90 degree corners and a port bracing with sub and port facing the same way, wires ran out of port and no carpet.

I've thought about maybe trying to brace the box more, any thoughts?

Here's what I've been thinking so far.

4.0 cu. ft. after displacements

26-32hz port tuning

~55 sq. in. port area (slot port)

4 90 degree corners and 1 port brace

Sub Up Port Back

WINISD (26 vs 28 vs 30 vs 32hz @4.0 cu. ft.)

Green is 26hz

Red is 28hz

Blue is 30hz

Yellow is 32hz

WINISD (4.0 cu. ft. vs 4.5 cu. ft. @28hz)

Green is 4.0 cu. ft.

Red is 4.5 cu. ft.

Side Note: What should I use to seal my box considering ill be painting over it? I used all silicone last time but I've been thinking that I could just use a caulk instead and be fine.

Also for the Lexan window would something like this be a good gasket? Ill also use silicone and some threaded inserts.

Thanks for any help guys!

X2 On what Hugh said. Just take your time to ensure everything is square and lines up, us good titebond wood glue and some drywall screws and itll be a stronger bond than the wood itself.

I really wouldnt use the silicone to bond together honestly. If theres gaps in joints then you can use the silicone to fill voids,

If your interested in something kinda between glue and silicone take a look at Liquid nails, it bonds pretty well and will fill imperfections.

That gasket tape looks like it will be ok, use enough to fill the entire border.

If you want another idea you can use T nuts or insert nuts and bolts to bolt the plexi window to the access panel.

X2 On what Hugh said. Just take your time to ensure everything is square and lines up, us good titebond wood glue and some drywall screws and itll be a stronger bond than the wood itself.

I really wouldnt use the silicone to bond together honestly. If theres gaps in joints then you can use the silicone to fill voids,

If your interested in something kinda between glue and silicone take a look at Liquid nails, it bonds pretty well and will fill imperfections.

That gasket tape looks like it will be ok, use enough to fill the entire border.

If you want another idea you can use T nuts or insert nuts and bolts to bolt the plexi window to the access panel.

If the cuts are gappend up, gorilla glue will work wonders. It is thin enough that you can build with it and still pull all the joint together, and as it dries it expands and seals.

Liquid nail is just so damn ghetto on a box.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Archived