DIY CNC Router Build

For quite a few years now I've been wanting to build a CNC router. I've finally gotten the proper motivation to do it and I figured I'd document the build here in case anyone is interested. The plan is to post info about what exactly I'm building, how much it costs me, where I got the parts, and of course, lots of pictures.

I'll get started with what I'm building. The design I'm working with is based off of a freely available one called the Joe's 2006. Its a typical gantry style router design. I've made some modifications to it though. First thing I did was I widened the X axis, increasing the working space from about 24" to about 32". I also changed the X & Y axis linear supports from pipe & skate bearings to v-bearings and rails. This design was originally intended to have the pieces cut out on an existing CNC router. I don't have access to one of those so I tweaked things a bit so I should be able to build this with my standard wood working tools. Anyway, here is what a standard Joe's 2006 looks like:

bAX3qlb.jpg

And here is a SketchUp of my modified version:

xoofdLE.png

For motors and control I've decided to go with the TinyG USB controller: https://www.synthetos.com/project/tinyg/

and 425 oz/in. NEMA 23 stepper motors from Automation Technologies: http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/stepper-motors/kl23h286-20-8b

The power supply I'm using is a 24 volt 8.3 amp model from Automation Technologies as well.

Here is what all that stuff looks like:

dYDxfi8.jpg

A closeup of the TinyG:

AuRE7gN.jpg

And the steppers:

XRHvCmN.jpg

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

My initial budget for this project was around $1200. There is no way I'm going to stay under that. Now its looking more like $1500. So far here is what my costs look like:

TinyG - $136

Steppers & power supply - $149

Acme lead screws - $113

Anti-backlash nuts & collars - $105

Hitachi router - $120

MDF - $180

Fasteners & Z-axis guide rods - $92

Lead screws & Z-axis bearings - $62

Bringing me thus far to about $950. However I still need to get the V-bearings, X & Y axis tracks, wiring, drag chain, and design software. The design software is the big one. Initially I was going to try to do it cheaply and find some good free open-source software. Unfortunately there just isn't anything that is going to suite my needs. Then I was looking at Ventric's Cut2D software, its not bad at $150, but at this point I'm leaning towards Ventric's VCarve, which is $350. Still haven't completely decided yet though.

I'll be updating this post as I buy things for this project.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Next up is to actually begin construction. I've got a couple projects to get cleared out of my work shop and then I'll be able to begin. I hope to get going and to have some pictures to post here within the next week.

Builds:

Is the Joes 2006 also a DIY?

Yes it is. Here is some more info on it: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/joes-cnc-model-2006-a/17279-joes-cnc-model-2006-r-1-a.html

Builds:

Archived