Welding Cable VS Car audio cable for power runs

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that because in that guys test his Rockford Fogate wire is 0.43 inches which is 10.922 mm.

I measured 10.74 MM in my above test on the Rockford Fosgate wire.

So Im slightly on the small side compared to his test, but it also proves that I used no bias in my above testing.

But hey, 1/0 welding wire is the same size as 1/0 car audio wire........... (insert sarcasm here)

Cant stand people posting false information!

this topic comes up a few times a year, and its either CCA vs OFC or welding cable vs car audio brands. ive bought CCA in the past but what people dont realize is losses along the wire at 15+ ft in various brands.

Sure you can throw a certain amount of amperage down various wires, but how much loss is there in heat in various wires? that of course equals voltage drop and then more work for your charging system.

End of the day, most people are just gonna run what they want. i will only use OFC from now on. And i like car audio wire because its just more flexible most of the time

Glad I have this scrap bin of wires.... I couldnt find any 2/0 but thats besides the point since oversized 1/0 gauge wire is actually 2/0 and these pics will prove that.Im sure there is 2/0 welding cable in here but I dont feel like dumping it all over and looking for it, then cleaning up a mess...G4YsUo.jpg These 3 wires are 1/0 welding cable on the bottom, Rockford Fosgate in the middle, and 3/0 welding cable on the top.The 1/0 is hard to read but you can read it, same as the 3/0 (which is why I taped it down because it kept wanting to turn and not let me get the 3/0 in the pic).QqLkeb.jpg Left to right, 1/0 welding cable, Rockford Fosgate 1/0, and 3/0 welding cable.GDMY1m.jpg Casing size of the 1/0 welding wire.v05BR9.jpg Casing size of the Rockford Fosgate wire.XcJYbR.jpg Casing size of the 3/0 welding wire.t4O5wy.jpg Here I stripped each of the 3 wires, I made sure to only pull back the casing far enough to get an actual wire measurement without having the ends of the wires loose and expanding messing with my readings.Again these 3 wires are 1/0 welding cable on the bottom, Rockford Fosgate in the middle, and 3/0 welding cable on the top.pQYy53.jpg Wire size of the 1/0 welding wire.qJsDb9.jpg Wire size of the 1/0 Rockford Fosgate.ON9MCt.jpg Wire size of the 3/0 welding wire.rT6pcb.jpg Here is a chart for the wire sizing.Im assuming all these wires I have are slightly larger than what the standard is.However this chart will show that the wire size goes up by about 1mm each time from 1/0 to 2/0 to 3/0 which is damn near spot on with my quick testing.nJdlZ.png

I don't generally like you audiofanatics because you are always talking shit to me but I love every fucking knowledge bomb you drop. Great INFORMATION in this thread.

Still learning but have started gathering.

Yes buying online, welding cable in the same gauge as car audio cable, welding cable is a lil cheaper. Remember welding cable is used daily by welders and have hundreds of amps throught them 8-12 hours a day for months or years at a time. Ur amp isnt gonna "wear out" the welding cable. Only rough abrasive and the elements (corrosion) will....

No...

The majority of 1/0 gauge wire made for car audio is oversized. Its sold as 1/0 but larger than the 1/0 standard set forth by the American wire gauge.

So if you want an equivalent size welding cable you need to buy 2/0 because that is really what 1/0 audio wire is.

Now if you put a piece of Stinger HPM 1/0 wire next to a piece of 1/0 welding cable they will be the same size because Stinger wire is not oversized wire like the majority of the wires people buy.

Corrosion, killing wire faster than you know, this is why you get silver tinned wire.

Especially when your wire is out in the elements of rain, snow, sleet, salt.

If you live close to an ocean your wire will corrode even faster, same with steel (thus why ships have zinc bars welded to them).

No...

The majority of 1/0 gauge wire made for car audio is oversized. Its sold as 1/0 but larger than the 1/0 standard set forth by the American wire gauge.

So if you want an equivalent size welding cable you need to buy 2/0 because that is really what 1/0 audio wire is.

Agreed but 1/0 welding wire is TRUE AWG standard.... Car audio is "oversized" (bigger than true AWG standard) car audio wire does have any ROHS complance or industrial standards, in which welding cable does ? I.E. a stick welder isnt gonna buy sky high or rockford fosgate power and ground wire dor his miller welder because ther is no rating for amp carrying capacity. True welding cable is rated to carry XXX AMPS @ XX feet.

IMO car audio wire is "loosely" based off welding cablel plus some... Welding cable is rated, no buts about it. Car audio wire is not rated... Only "sugested" not arguing with you caraudiofanaticz

Archived