Lights dim - HO alternator

Okay I did the big 3 upgrade and I just installed a DC Power 250 amp high output alternator today. My lights are still dimming just as bad as before. I was under the impression that a high output alternator would provide plenty enough power to resolve any light dimming issues. I drive a 2006 Buick LaCrosse and I am only pushing 1200 watts. If anybody knows about the problem I'm having please give me some suggestions on where to go from here. Thanks

You're probably clipping, how did you set your gains? I used to dim on a JL 1000/1 until I got my DD-1 and set my system correctly. I wasn't clipping and my lights were not dimming, only after I pushed into clipped territory would my headlights instantly dim to the beat. Like clean signal on vol 32 no dimm, clipping on vol 33 lights dimming.

You should get a volt meter so you can actually see what the voltage is. As well, don't set by ear, you are more than likely clipping which will cause a much higher current demand than if set properly.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I have a DMM I checked the voltage with after everything was installed. It was a little over 15 volts with nothing on. I cranked my system and it dropped about a half a volt. The lights still dim but they recover from the dimness A LOT faster than before. Could it be that my amp ground is bad? If the fact that I am clipping is the problem I'm not worried about it because I'm getting a new amp and sub soon anyway. I will set the gains the right way when I get my new equipment.

Headlights dim no matter what, that type of bulb is greatly affected by voltage swings, get used to it.

If you don't like the dimming get hids.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Yes I grounded the alternator using the same route the stock wires took. 0 gauge wire from engine block to battery negative. I sanded down to bare metal before connecting all of my grounds. The interior lights dim as well as the headlights. I don't really care if my lights dim, I just don't want to be taxing my electrical system.

Archived