Help with a box design for a home theater (car sub)

Good day

im looking to add a subwoofer to my home theater system..

i already have a amp and a some 12" subs lying around

amp: crown xls 2000 (only would use one channel which is 500rms @ 2ohms)

subs: either a Sundown SA12 or US made Re Audio SE (both is dual 4)

however i got no idea on going about designing a enclosure for a open area like a room

any help would greatly appreciated..

thanks'

what should i aim for in terms of

cuft before sub and port displacement

if going a slot port what port area should i aim for

what should it be tuned to

• 1 month later...

It really depends on what you want. Every enclosure type has it's pros and cons. What are you looking to add to your HT setup, how much space are you willing to take up in your room and your skill level in woodworking are some questions to consider when deciding what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

well...all depends on the application.

I would use a sealed or ported enclosure depending on your level of skill. Sealed is super easy to calculate, the torres calculator on this forum is good too, just search for it.

If you talk to the manufacturer of the subs they should give you an idea of box volume and port size. The RE calculator is worthless IMHO...talk to sundown they should be able to give you an idea of where you need to be.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a first run e8 in a t-line that was in my garage for a while. Ran it on a hash 300w plate amp. It got down! Hooked it up to the home theater to see how it would do on a movie and it did pretty good. It was built to 32 or so Hz but it would have murdered the booms if it were tuned lower. I say try one...

well...all depends on the application.

I would use a sealed or ported enclosure depending on your level of skill. Sealed is super easy to calculate, the torres calculator on this forum is good too, just search for it.

If you talk to the manufacturer of the subs they should give you an idea of box volume and port size. The RE calculator is worthless IMHO...talk to sundown they should be able to give you an idea of where you need to be.

I would be cautious when asking them for specs seeing as they would more than likely give you specs for a car audio setup.

Archived