Sundown Audio

Hi I have the space to put one ported sa 12, two 10" or 4 8" sa sub's. I could do 2 12's sealed or even two 10" sub's sealed.

My goal is to have a system with punch and quality for listening to rock, but can also crank the level up and get some good SPL around 35 hz give or take a few hz.

Its kind of dual purpose in that the rest of my system will be built full active and sq orientated.

I'm leaning towards 4 ported sa 8" tuned to 35 hz in a 2.5 ft^3 enclosure.

It needs to bang red hot chilli peppers up high and dubstep down low around 30 or 35 hz.

I also considered 2 boxes tuned different, each with 2 sa8". Maybe tuned 35 and 40 with separate channels?

I'm hoping for more SPL than my old 2 12 kicker l7 setup, without sacrificing the minimal sq it had.

If you want it to bang the high bass as well as the low bass then that would be hard to do with a port. The SQ can be lost real quick with a port that can peak as much as 5db. It sounds like what you want is a sealed box for a nice flat response and gradual roll off. It wont be as loud as ported so it will need alot of power. Everything is a trade off. I am in the same boat with my HDS315s port tuned to 34hz. It just dosent bang the high bass like my old sealed box but it really smashes the lows. I am planning to add four 10s for some upper bass kick and have been told repeatedly that this is wrong but i have done it in the past with good success.

Edited by ShadeTreeMechanic

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

look into 6.5s! ive got 9 6.5s on a ct sounds 1400 and it plays 20 hz to 80 hz. pretty loud and good sq!

heres my build to look at

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200087-9-massive-summo-65s-ct-sounds-1400

Edited by askmeaboutmy6.5s
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Follow Seth Sharer Designs on Facebook for more frequent updates!

New build coming soon!

20 6.5s wall on two massive drago 5ks

Results will vary wildly for most people, but typically with Sq builds you apply tons of power and eq down the peaks. You lose a ton of output but Gaon a flat responce

Thanks for the info guys,

Generally if I tune my box to 35 how high do you think it would play?

How high would a sealed box play?

Sub's in question are the sa8

Jl audio offers a stealth box with two 10tw3 sub's and its ported. It has sound characteristics I like, but I'm not sure what frequency its tuned to. I'm hoping to cover the same range but louder

Edited by somebodyelse

Tuned to35hz it will play 35 real good and everyhing else will sund about half as loud. If you were to listen to a song that has bass around 50hz, you would be saying " where did the bass go?". Sure it wil still play 50 but it wont bang like 35.

Edited by ShadeTreeMechanic

Pioneer 80PRS

It depends on how peaky the box is too I guess. A big ported box will have a lot of peak and a smaller ported box will tend to be flatter.

Pioneer 80PRS

It depends on how peaky the box is too I guess. A big ported box will have a lot of peak and a smaller ported box will tend to be flatter.

I wonder of experimenting with polyfill could lower volume and flatten the peaks if I start towards the larger side of things. Or possibly shortening the port to raise tuning frequency might help the subs.

I did talk to sundown today and the said the x8 subs give mor punch and better range and would do what I'm looking for. The sa would be smoother at lower freq though. But the x subs need more airspace so I couldn't do 4 of them and sundown did say 4 sa8 are louder than 2 x8 subs. Sundown also sold said I would be happier with 8" than 10" or 12" for what I'm after. I forgot to ask about 6.5" though, but I bet 4 of the x6.5 would shame 4 sa8. I'm not sure I'm ready to do 6k watts though lol.

I think I'm gonna go with the sa 8

Edited by somebodyelse

D925C268-FE43-43C4-A9DA-EF82A4EB7317_zps Rocking 3 10 sa's sealed very impressed just added some polyfil hard to notice difference by ear

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery