Second Skin Audio

Aero port direction

When I tried making the port bigger in diameter (tried up to 8") it seemed like unless I was at like 3.5-4 cu ft net that I wasn't getting anywhere close to 30-40 HZ tuning. 8" put me at about 50 sq in

Just make the port longer...

For your application, I would at least use 1 8inch port.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

When I tried making the port bigger in diameter (tried up to 8") it seemed like unless I was at like 3.5-4 cu ft net that I wasn't getting anywhere close to 30-40 HZ tuning. 8" put me at about 50 sq in

The 8" would perform great but is hard to work with, the following is based on a slot port and it gets about 42 square inches very easily, good for a trunk car mostly. power: to sub rated, amp subsonic filter to 30Hz, minimum port clearance 3 3/8", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

eminent.jpg

DCL412_zps4d8b8c3d.jpg

The 8" would perform great but is hard to work with, the following is based on a slot port and it gets about 42 square inches very easily, good for a trunk car mostly. power: to sub rated, amp subsonic filter to 30Hz, minimum port clearance 3 3/8", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

eminent.jpg

DCL412_zps4d8b8c3d.jpg

Damn Joe lol. Thank you for taking so much time to actually design and lay out an enclosure for me! Biggest issue is height, it's going in a 2012 Malibu and when I laid a piece of 3/4" MDF and measure to the top of the trunk 13" was about max and I believe that was at about 20" deep. So max would be like 13x34x20

eminent.jpg

DCL412_zps4d8b8c3d.jpg

Okay I went into Torres and put the dimensions you gave me in and tried using my max dimensions to come up with similar numbers. Every time I try a screen shot of Torres the picture ends up small as hell lol. Heres what I came up with for dimensions. If you think this will work would you please be able to do a cut sheet and sketchup diagram?

13H x 32W x 19D for outer dimensions

11.5H x 3.5W x 40L for port dimensions

That's about 2.2 cubic feet close to 33Hz and about 40 square inches of port area so it's close, if you can, get some more port area.

Appreciate the help Joe! I ended up going with that plan and turns out I probably could've went an inch taller. It sounds good! Now, if I tried doing another one with an Aero port, would I gain more net volume? I was told Aero's take up less volume than a square port

Yes, a lot of space can be gained, just going an inch taller and using 3 4" round ports will give:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 34 Hz
Vb = 2.7 ft^3

External Height = 15 in
External Width = 38 in
External Depth = 15 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Front & Back (3 parts) = 38 x 15

Left & Right Sides = 12 3/4 x 13 1/2

Top & Bottom = 38 x 12 3/4

Port Quantity and Dimensions:

Number of Ports = 3
Pipe Port Diameter = 4
Pipe Port Length = 29 1/2

That's 0.7 cubes net increase, you just need to take care how large the box is cause it can start playing peaky and reduces you can run into overexcursion easier.

Archived