Battery current sensor question

I recently did the big 3 in my 08 grand prix. Since then I've been getting a "battery saver mode activated" message in my DIC. When that comes on it cuts off unnecessary power like my AC. It's doing this because only the stock ground is passing through the censor, I can't fit the 0 awg in the ring with the stock wire. Can I just disconnect the stock ground take it out the ring then pass the 0 awg through the ring and reconnect the stock ground outside of the ring. Or could I just delete that stock ground all together since the big 3 replaces it anyway?

Your ground has to pass through the current sensor. So if you're unable to fit both, then ditching the stock ground would be the next best option. Just make sure that you're not eliminating grounds to other equipment that feed off of that one.

Your ground has to pass through the current sensor. So if you're unable to fit both, then ditching the stock ground would be the next best option. Just make sure that you're not eliminating grounds to other equipment that feed off of that one.

The 0 awg I'm passing through the sensor goes from the battery to the alternator chassis ground. If the stock wire that's passing through it now goes from the battery to the chassis then simply deleting that and using the 0 awg should be fine right?I'll prob end up reconnecting the stock wire, it just won't be passing through the sensor just the 0 awg will.

If you reconnect the stock wire without it passing through the current sensor, you're going to have the same problem you have now. All battery grounds have to pass through the current sensor.

If you reconnect the stock wire without it passing through the current sensor, you're going to have the same problem you have now. All battery grounds have to pass through the current sensor.

Ok, I just went out and looked at it closely. You're right both stock grounds are passing through it. 1 goes from battery to the top of the wheel well to the sheet metal, the other goes from battery to the bottom right side of the engine block. Couldn't I just disconnect all stock grounds from battery and tape them up and leave them there if so my next concern is there's no way I'm gonna fit both of the 0 awg grounds through the sensor that I added in the big 3. Can I just pass one of those through the sensor or not?

All grounds that connect to the battery must pass through the sensor.

So my advice to you, if you remove the stock grounds and tape the off safely where they won't get caught up in anything else, is to put your big 3 battery to chassis/frame/sheet metal ground through the sensor, and then do a ground from engine block to the spot the battery is grounded at, not connected to the battery or through the current sensor. I believe that should be fine, but not having a current sensor of my own, i can't test it out for verification. Maybe ToNasty or Karkov will chime in, as I know they both own GM vehicles with the current sensor.

Current sensor big 3 struggles. What I suggested should work right?

1/0 from Engine block to chassis, 1/0 from chassis through the current sensor to battery?

Depending on which sensor you have, you can only fit so much wore through it. I deleted stock grounds and did 1 2/0 ground

Ok, so if I delete the stock grounds and use 1 2/0 ground do I run it like reedal suggested?

I'll probably just use 1/0 now that I think about it only having 2k watts.

Archived