Second Skin Audio

Will ported be ok?

dsw422

Hey guys.. want to build a box for a jl 13.5tw5v2.. want ported but it says it's not recommended..

I input everything on WinISD and everything seems fine.. if I build a ported box at 1 cuft tuned to 32hz and port diameter of 4inches, the air velocity peaks at 32 m/s at 18 hz.. but TFM maxes out at 58 hz which I feel is terrible..

I kno very very little about the rest of the graphs on the program.. so if there is a graph that helps show me if ported is a bad decision, please let me know..

What do yall think of this?

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

A single 6" aero should help bring the velocity down a bit, at the cost of more displacement and being longer to reach the tuning. In my playing around with winISD, I tend to look at TFM, velocity, and cone excursion mostly, but also SPL and impedance. As far as finding if it's better for ported or sealed, when you start a new project and select the woofer, it should provide you with an EBP number and a small meter showing whether it's better suited for vented or sealed.

I believe that sub has a QTS of .52, which would imply that it's better suited for a sealed enclosure over ported.

cone excursion would be one I look at. Also 32 meters per second is high even for an aeroport.

Cone excursion was very high in the teens (Low pass filter will solve that) and decent around tuning.. I knew it was a bit high.. I can go up to 6 inch but I'm limited on space which is the reason I figured 4 would be ok.. 5 would be fine too but like I said, thatll take up too much internal volume..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

A single 6" aero should help bring the velocity down a bit, at the cost of more displacement and being longer to reach the tuning. In my playing around with winISD, I tend to look at TFM, velocity, and cone excursion mostly, but also SPL and impedance. As far as finding if it's better for ported or sealed, when you start a new project and select the woofer, it should provide you with an EBP number and a small meter showing whether it's better suited for vented or sealed.

I believe that sub has a QTS of .52, which would imply that it's better suited for a sealed enclosure over ported.

Where do you find the EBP number and the meter?

I knew QTS suggested sealed (even JL suggested), but customer really wants ported.

I'm trying to work with him the best I can, but I just don't want to ruin a brand new sub by putting it in anew enclosure that's not right for it..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Start new project, select woofer, how many, and it's the next menu where you select "type of design" where you select vented or ported, it's on that screen. and then after that is when you can begin inputting the enclosure specs in order to graph out the response and effects of the enclosure.

cone excursion would be one I look at. Also 32 meters per second is high even for an aeroport.

Cone excursion was very high in the teens (Low pass filter will solve that) and decent around tuning.. I knew it was a bit high.. I can go up to 6 inch but I'm limited on space which is the reason I figured 4 would be ok.. 5 would be fine too but like I said, thatll take up too much internal volume..

How will low pass filter solve the excursion? excursion comes from the power to the sub and the box. You will have to set subsonic filter and possibly lower power (depending on how it models) to keep excursion under control.

What about external? or reverse mount sub?

How will low pass filter solve the excursion? excursion comes from the power to the sub and the box. You will have to set subsonic filter and possibly lower power (depending on how it models) to keep excursion under control.

He probably means high pass filter, which is what the subsonic filter is.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

He probably means high pass filter, which is what the subsonic filter is.

Your right.. oops.. lol

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Archived