Second Skin Audio

Will ported be ok?

dsw422

cone excursion would be one I look at. Also 32 meters per second is high even for an aeroport.

Cone excursion was very high in the teens (Low pass filter will solve that) and decent around tuning.. I knew it was a bit high.. I can go up to 6 inch but I'm limited on space which is the reason I figured 4 would be ok.. 5 would be fine too but like I said, thatll take up too much internal volume..

How will low pass filter solve the excursion? excursion comes from the power to the sub and the box. You will have to set subsonic filter and possibly lower power (depending on how it models) to keep excursion under control.

What about external? or reverse mount sub?

I meant high pass.. lol..

And don't want to do external port.. and can't reverse mount this sub.. besides, it's only 2.5" mounting depth..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

I would think 32m/s @ 18hz puts you well within the limits of air velocity for your actual capable bandwidth. And (someone correct me if I'm wrong) without knowing the resonant frequency of the environment the enclosure will be in and inputting it into winISD, I wouldn't put too much stock into the 58hz peak for your TFM. That's going to change once you drop it in the vehicle.

I assume that since it's a shallow mount and there's not much room to expand on volume, that it's meant to go behind a seat in a truck?

I would think 32m/s @ 18hz puts you well within the limits of air velocity for your actual capable bandwidth. And (someone correct me if I'm wrong) without knowing the resonant frequency of the environment the enclosure will be in and inputting it into winISD, I wouldn't put too much stock into the 58hz peak for your TFM. That's going to change once you drop it in the vehicle.

I assume that since it's a shallow mount and there's not much room to expand on volume, that it's meant to go behind a seat in a truck?

It is going in a 2004 gmc sierra 1500 crew cab behind back seat..

I do realize tfm changes once the box goes in the vehicle.. I just like to base everything off of WinISD...

So here's some graphs for yall.. high-pass is set to 27 I can lower if yall think I should.. low pass is set to 85, which I can raise of course.

BLUE IS PORTED BOX: 1 cuft tuned to 32

YELLOW IS SEALED: .8 cuft

Here's TFM

20160525_181119.jpg

Here's cone excursion

20160525_181006.jpg

Here's port velocity with 4" round port

20160525_181426.jpg

What yall think? Sealed or ported?

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

i think either way it will be really peaky from the looks of it.... but sealed over ported for a flatter response.

i think either way it will be really peaky from the looks of it.... but sealed over ported for a flatter response.

Thanks.

Tritticom, what would you do?

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Thanks.

Lol, you knew I was watching :-)

Based purely on the specs of the sub, it should work OK in a ported box. One concern I have is ported boxes put a much greater load on the cone than a sealed box does and that sub might not be able to handle that, but that's just me speculating.

The ported box will produce 3-4 dB more output over the subs usable frequency range, that's like doubling your power for free. It also has less excursion over the same frequency range, which is better for sound quality. I'd be inclined to try the ported box while being cautious with the power, if it doesn't work out its really easy to make a ported box into a sealed box. The opposite is much more difficult. In the future I'd suggest to your customer that if they want a ported system, they should buy the appropriate sub to begin with.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks.

Lol, you knew I was watching :-)

Based purely on the specs of the sub, it should work OK in a ported box. One concern I have is ported boxes put a much greater load on the cone than a sealed box does and that sub might not be able to handle that, but that's just me speculating.

The ported box will produce 3-4 dB more output over the subs usable frequency range, that's like doubling your power for free. It also has less excursion over the same frequency range, which is better for sound quality. I'd be inclined to try the ported box while being cautious with the power, if it doesn't work out its really easy to make a ported box into a sealed box. The opposite is much more difficult. In the future I'd suggest to your customer that if they want a ported system, they should buy the appropriate sub to begin with.

Haha.. I like to think u r.. lol..

The guy had 2 w3 8s last week and sold em to buy the 13.5. Bought it brand new.. so won't much I could say. Lol..

I figured it should be ok. I just like to make sure.. luckily he's only running 300 watts RMS (JL XD700/5v2 amp) to it which is half of what it recommends. So that's another plus for the ported box.

I didn't think about making it a sealed box if ported didn't work out.. lol. I could actually make that a semi permanent thing. I could Make a port cover that is easily removable (bolts) to play differently whenever he wants.. thanks for that idea.. haha

Thanks for your help Tritticom! I'll make a build log when I start that box..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Archived