WHOA...that's a hell of an upgrade!

So you had a SOTM system in a lease? That's impressive in itself.

I was looking at Camaro's before I bought my M3 and that tiny trunk did not look fun to install something into.

Good luck, can't wait to see what you all do with it. :good:

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice! I had no ideal you could do what you wanted to a leased vehicle. I guess if the integrity is still in tack, fair game.

Indeed...it was a lease. I just removed everything tonight and it's back to normal. I'm gonna donate all the trim pieces and panels I made to my neighbor who has an Altima. I'll give her the sub box too, gotta build new for my new small opening trunk.

Nice Ride !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

• 3 weeks later...

I scored a new set of speakers today. Hertz HSK 165 !!!

I was a local shop tent sale, and was intent on buying the ESK 165...listened to them, they sounded great on the demo wall. Price was great too, 199 for the ESK. Only, they didn't have them in stock. The manager comes over and says, what if I work a deal for the HSKs.

I say sure, give it a shot.

260 out the door. Boom. Hertz HSK 165.

• 2 weeks later...

I've run into space issues...the trunk of this car has a very small opening and there are humps in the floor on each side that must be dealt with.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to build a 2-piece box that can be put together once the parts are inside the car. However, the only way I can fit a standard box (rectangle) is to be limited to 30" wide (this is the distance between the floor humps) x 14" H and somewhere up to 18" deep.

Right now I've decided to build a sealed box for my 2 DC Lvl 2 12s. This simplifies the box and provides an easy path to build in 2 pieces and marry together once in the car.

I'm looking for other suggestions.

Has anyone ever built a 2-piece sub and put together inside the car? I know some folks have built the whole thing inside the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I didn't get any feedback on my idea for a 2 piece sub, so I decided to do it anyway. How bad could it be? If properly sealed and bolted, should perform just as well as a single piece sub.

Like I mentioned before, space is tight...its not so much inside the trunk, but getting into the trunk. Its also hard to contort the body to get into the trunk to do anything, so that makes things challenging too.

Since there are floor "protrusions" on either side of the trunk (rectangular humps, essentially, that stick up from the floor), taking advantage of the whole width would require accommodating the humps into the design of the box, which I didn't feel like doing right now. Also I couldn't settle on a 2 piece design that included a port, so this first box will be sealed. i reserve the right to change my mind later!

On to the box...DC says 0.75 cuft per sub for sealed for level 2 12s, so that makes the box small, which suits the space.

Got my outdoor workshop set up...

0626161429_HDR_zpsmksm0pp4.jpg

I skipped pictures of the early development, so here is the 2-piece design

0709161448_HDR_zpsx04cjbjg.jpg

The flange on each box will facilitate bolting together.

I decided to use birch plywood this time around to try to save some weight, not sure what the difference actually is yet.

0709161448a_HDR_zps5n20z7xf.jpg

This will facilitate bolting together.

0709161450_HDR_zpsabvh1umf.jpg

Had a visitor while I was working, he likes bass too!

0702161428b_HDR_zpspsdkpxr0.jpg

0709161450a_HDR_zpskonqrvdq.jpg

Fast forward again, cut some holes and test fit in car...

0713161940_HDR_zpsnos3lung.jpg

Here are the bolts and test bolting these things together...there is enuff access for my hands and tools. I'll have to mount the subs once the box is installed.

0713161940a_HDR_zpsjfvtqzld.jpg

More test fitting on the back side, in the trunk. You can see the hump there on the left behind the bottom piece of MDF on the floor. The box fits right in between.

0713161938a_HDR_zpsmpospmdt.jpg

Almost forgot, battery is already in the trunk. Yay..a little easier.

0613161753_HDR_zpsmwctiits.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived